Alison's Reviews > The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Vol. 1

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Vol. 1 by Alan Moore

Jul 23, 2011

it was ok
Read on July 23, 2011

A coworker and I got to talking about comics, and I thought I should remedy my lack of education in "traditional" comics just a little bit. Alan Moore seemed a safe place to start, since V for Vendetta and Watchmen were excellent. But... The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen is kind of a giant fanfiction-style crossover, featuring characters from Jules Verne, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, and Robert Louis Stevenson. It's the comic book equivalent of the Sherlock Holmes movies with Robert Downey Jr (although it came along first). And while it was fun and silly and action-packed, it also reminded me why I don't read this kind of thing: the illustration is clumsy and run-of-the-mill (and seriously, could a few more people in the comic industry learn to draw women?), the story is propelling but flat, and the premise is a little shaky.

Despite all this, I will read the next volume. Just like I will go see Sherlock Holmes II the very week it comes out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Vol. 1.