Jonathan Terrington's Reviews > The Blood Mirror

The Blood Mirror by Brent Weeks

bookshelves: fantasy, favourite-series, worldbuilding

This is a difficult novel to get a handle on. In many ways it was a disappointing novel, because it seemed to drag the plot onwards without necessarily adding to the overall story at first. Yet in many other ways it was the best novel in the series, because it turned everything that had been explained as truth on its head.

The problem with this novel is twofold. Firstly is the unfair 'problem'. I was expecting a conclusion to the series. Secondly is the issue of the novel's pacing. As a work in the series I was expecting this to tie up a few loose ends and lead into an overall conclusion. However, while there are some key moments for various characters, and while the plot leads into setting up a potential ending, many of the incidents that happen could be condensed down. Which is where the novel's pacing became problematic. There were moments when the expanded details of every aspect of the character's interactions took me out of the story because of the meandering.

That said, this was by far the most gripping character building of all the books in the series. Which made it problematic for me. On one hand you have the greatest twists (a complete reversal of everything told to the reader to this point over three other novels) and then you have this slow burning novel despite all the excellent character development. In the end, the positives of the novel outweighed the negatives - it was skillfully written and drew me in on the whole. Regardless, there are plenty of other reviewers online who found the negatives too great.

I would encourage you to continue reading the series and making up your own mind. Or you could begin to read the series if you have not yet picked it up. It's another epic fantasy series in the mould of Robert Jordan, yet Weeks also writes in a way that is more brutally honest than Jordan. Either way, certainly a suggestion for fantasy aficionados.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Blood Mirror.

December 14, 2016 – Started Reading
January 13, 2017 – Shelved
January 14, 2017 – Finished Reading
February 12, 2017 – Shelved as: fantasy
February 12, 2017 – Shelved as: favourite-series
February 12, 2017 – Shelved as: worldbuilding

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Fayley (new)

Fayley I've gotten sick of the story dragging on so I stopped after book 3 ... I want someone else to read the rest and just post some spoilers so I know what happened in the end!