Tarissa's Reviews > Death at St. Vedast

Death at St. Vedast by Mary Lawrence

liked it

When a wealthy bride drops dead, along with another mysterious local death or two, Biana Goddard sniffs out a nefarious scheme at play. And so the scientific wheels begin turning in her brain.

What I like? There's some good historical fiction here. I can tell that the author has researched many topics relating to the mid-1500s time era -- from location, to foods, social life, and everything else that makes up the atmosphere of the plot. You are seamlessly transported and immersed into the setting. I also appreciate the time that the author took to incorporate true events into the storyline, even while having to slightly bend history to her will (ha!). I have to admit, there's some interesting characters, even if most of them are a little "grimy" or perhaps rough around the edges. And it's a pretty good mystery too.

What I don't care for? It's not a "clean" book, so beware if that's what you usually like to read. There's some mature content and mild foul language.

Although this happens to be book #3 in a series, I think it reads great as a stand-alone novel if you haven't tried the previous volumes yet.

Thanks to NetGalley for a free copy of this book; I was not required to post a review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Death at St. Vedast.

Started Reading