Tammy's Reviews > Touch of Frost

Touch of Frost by Jennifer Estep

Jul 23, 2011

Read in July, 2011

I am a big fan of Jennifer Estep's Elemental Assassin books, so when I heard that she was starting a new series (Mythos Academy), but this time for YA, I almost passed on it, but I'm glad now I didn't.

The concept of the series is pretty good. The book uses simple language which allowed me to focus on the story and drew me in. I'm now anxiously waiting for the next book in the series.

The story centers on a teenage girl named Gwen. She has the give of psychometry, which means she gets psychic impressions from the things she touches. Gwen and her family are Gypsies, and after the death of her mom, Gwen is enrolled in the Mythos Academy, a school for teenagers with special gifts. The halls are filled with Amazons, Spartans, and other teen warriors. Gwen though feels out-of-place, she's a Gypsy, she's no warrior and she certainly doesn't come from the same type of background the other kids do.

Gwen doesn't have things easy, she doesn't fit in, and doesn't understand why she's there, and when she asks why she doesn't get a straight answer from anyone including her beloved grandmother. Things seem to go from "bad" to even worse when she discovers the body of the seemingly most popular girl in school, dead in the library. Afterwards though she is even more shocked to see that no one seems to be sad for the dead girl, the other kids seem more interested in whos going ot be prom queen now that she's dead than in who killed her and why. So, Gwen decides to play Nancy Drew and see what she can find out using her powers. The results are somewhat astonishing, but Estep does set the book up nicely for the ones to follow.

I really enjoyed this book, way more than I thought I would at first and therefore I would recommend it and I'd also give it 4 1/2 stars.

I got this book as an e-arc

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Touch of Frost.