Elaine's Reviews > The Message

The Message by Yan Vana

32020643
What a wake up call this very different book turned out to be! It shares an official inquiry into Retha and the unwarranted destruction of this previously amazing planetary nature reserve. The story is related via a personal journal, messages exchanged and the official inquiry. It starts with the end, and ends with the beginning and between the two takes the reader on a journey where ecological disaster, romance and blame are all key elements. I found it an enthralling read, with many surprises along the way. If you’re looking for a straight-forward science fiction or romance, this probably isn't for you. If enjoy superbly descriptive, emotively written stories in which reports of factual style investigations as well as personal journal entries play key roles, then you’ll probably love it - I know I did!

This is a very different, but highly effective way of getting ‘The Message’ across. It really is a warning message, one that the world needs to wake up to IMHO. I enjoyed the factual background provided in the Preface and the concluding messages which act as an epilogue. The romantic elements are there, too, with some great characters and an engaging back story that continues to develop throughout this story. The use of different styles of writing I thought might detract but I’m very pleased to say that, for me, it did the opposite, enhancing the ‘message’ and bringing it to life. It also enabled events occurring at different times to be related and connected in a meaningful manner.

This is my honest review after being gifted a copy of the book with no obligation or reward to read or review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Message.

January 12, 2017 – Started Reading