Cathrine ☯️ 's Reviews > The Distant Marvels

The Distant Marvels by Chantel Acevedo

liked it
bookshelves: group-challenge

3.5★
It’s 1963 in Santiago. Hurricane Flora rages and eight women are trapped in an abandoned mansion watched over by a soldier in Castro’s army. To entertain and pass a dangerous night, as well as satisfy a deep personal need, an old woman on the precipice of death begins to tell them stories that begin with her earliest childhood during Cuba’s war for independence.

My group challenge was to read a book or author from the Caribbean. Since Fidel Castro just passed and my own childhood was colored by the Bay of Pigs with its threat of nuclear war, this seemed a good choice. I knew nothing of pre 1960s Cuba. The power of folklore and remembrance told by those who came before is at its heart. It revealed a side of Cuba’s culture and history I knew nothing about.
Although enjoyable as well as enlightening, I found the movements between past and present with short chapters too distracting, like constant interruption during reading or film watching which tempered my enthusiasm a bit, though it must be said the author writes beautifully.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Distant Marvels.

January 11, 2017 – Started Reading
January 12, 2017 – Shelved
January 12, 2017 – Shelved as: group-challenge
January 16, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

message 1: by Hirdesh (new)

Hirdesh Great review

Cathrine ☯️ Hirdesh wrote: "Great review"

Thank you Hirdesh.

message 3: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Thanks for your thoughts. Probably won't be going on my TBR, although I would love to know more about pre-revolutionary Cuba.

message 4: by Iris P (new)

Iris P A very entertaining review Cathrine and an interesting topic to learn more about. This actually sounds like my kind of novel, I am going to check if my library is carrying it, appreciate you for bringing attention to this story and author!

Cathrine ☯️ Iris P wrote: "A very entertaining review Cathrine and an interesting topic to learn more about. This actually sounds like my kind of novel, I am going to check if my library is carrying it, appreciate you for br..."

Thanks Iris. I hope they have a copy for you. Enjoy!