Angie's Reviews > Be Light Like a Bird

Be Light Like a Bird by Monika Schröder

Jan 31, 2017

liked it
bookshelves: middle-grade

Synopsis: "After the death of her father, twelve-year-old Wren finds her life thrown into upheaval. And when her mother decides to pack up the car and forces Wren to leave the only home she's ever known, the family grows even more fractured. As she and her mother struggle to build a new life, Wren must confront issues with the environment, peer pressure, bullying, and most of all, the difficulty of forgiving those who don't deserve it. A quirky, emotional middle grade novel set in Michigans Upper Peninsula, Be Light Like a Bird features well-drawn, unconventional characters and explores what it means to be a family and the secrets and lies that can tear one apart."

My Review: I downloaded this book on a whim and was glad I did. It is a beautiful story about Wren and her mother's struggle after loosing her father. It illustrates the different ways that people grieve and the connections they make after a loss. I really enjoyed watching Wren's journey and how she finds her way without a lot of help. The sub-characters are also great, I would love to read more about Randle. All in all an enjoyable and quick read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Be Light Like a Bird.

January 12, 2017 – Shelved