Fleur (FranklyBooks)'s Reviews > She Is Not Invisible

She Is Not Invisible by Marcus Sedgwick

bookshelves: middle-grade, read-in-2017, contemporary

( 3.5 ) I wasn't quite sure what to expect going into this. The blurb kind of made it sound like there was going to be a little bit of a thriller / mystical element to this book, but it seemed to be a little watered down. Hence the reason I've created a shelf called 'middle grade' as it seems to fit that category a little better than young adult. Having said that, it was a really cute story!

What I Liked
1. The way the blindness is handled. It's mentioned in the book, sure, but not in a way that would make a younger child think that anything was truly troubling about her situation, which is great! As is mentioned in the book, so much of blind people in literature are seen as people who are too weak to do anything for themselves, or they go completely the opposite direction and make them superheroes (Daredevil). There isn't a big panic about her being blind, but rather we just see her being brave. We see her fly seven hours to get to America with only herself and her little brother, but rather than thinking she's brave for doing this because she's blind, we think she's brave for doing this because she's SIXTEEN and uh, may have committed fraud.

2. That we really got to take a look into Laureth's mind, and see what an everyday was like for her. She brought up the idea that it truly doesn't matter that much to her that she's 'missing out' on something. She's never been able to see different colours so why should she obsess over something that isn't going to happen? We can't see molecules (unless we use the super strong microscope that they just made), but only a portion of us actually invest our time into it. I would be completely fine if I never saw a life - it probably wouldn't make a difference to me. ps. please let me know if this view is kind of narrow minded

3. Benjamin was such a sweetheart. He was so good at helping his sister around, and knowing what to do. He was just the cutest, but at the same time he was so smart? It wasn't like he was a 20 year old in a 7 years olds body, he was definitely 7; rather he was an intelligent 7 year old but with all of the whining that comes with them. I love how he talked to his stuffed raven as well! That was so adorable, especially when Laureth was trying to get him to do something.

What Could Have Been Better
1. Occasionally the journal extracts seemed a little bit . . . unnecessary. I have a feeling that if I had skipped a few, I would still be able to understand the entire story. While it's true, there was ONE passage that was extremely relevant to the book, apart from that I couldn't find too much use for them.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read She Is Not Invisible.

January 11, 2017 – Shelved
January 12, 2017 – Started Reading
January 12, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Jessica-❥Chatterbooks Book Blog❥ Awesome review, Fleur!! :D

Fleur (FranklyBooks) Jessica-❥Chatterbooks Book Blog❥ wrote: "Awesome review, Fleur!! :D"
Thank you Jessica! That's really sweet c: