Jennifer Lee's Reviews > Had She but Known: A Biography of Mary Roberts Rinehart

Had She but Known by Charlotte MacLeod

62062888
Jan 27, 2017

Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book from Netgalley in return for an honest review.

I have read a lot of mysteries by Mary Roberts Rinehart and I have read a lot of mysteries by Charlotte MacLeod. Therefore, this book seemed like a logical choice. MacLeod writes in a chatty, easy to read style. Her fondness for MRR and for her books comes through clearly. I read this quickly and was thoroughly engaged throughout. MRR was a fascinating woman. I obviously knew she was a writer but I didn't know as much about the rest of her life. She was a mother, a wife, a nurse, a wartime correspondent, a columnist, a playwright, the list just goes on and on. She was a bestselling author and in many ways, a woman ahead of her time. She was opinionated and independent and I think she would have been a lot of fun to know.

I enjoyed this biography and think even someone who has never read MRR's books would enjoy it as well. The section on her time as a war correspondent was particularly fascinating. She wrote a book about that time that I will have to see if I can find.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Had She but Known.

January 11, 2017 – Started Reading