Skidmarquez's Reviews > Close to the Knives: A Memoir of Disintegration

Close to the Knives by David Wojnarowicz

Mar 27, 2008

Recommended to Skidmarquez by: five
Recommended for: Anyone

Wojnarowicz, for being a self taught writer and artist has rich, thick descriptions of the encounters with men in bathrooms, the incursion of the illness of the american landscape into his psyche, the political determinations of his moment, strung-out drug episodes, the AIDS crisis where he witnesses friend after friend succumb to the disease. Written about a really repressive and oft forgotten moment in American history where queers were not only being blamed for the AIDS crisis but also being beaten and murdered as a result. Written episodically in the form of journal entries, retrospective reflections, transcripts of tape recorded conversation, polemical essays. One of the better memoirs I've read. At moments it can be a little trite, but then again so can you.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Close to the Knives.

Quotes Skidmarquez Liked

David Wojnarowicz
“I want to throw up because we're supposed to quietly and politely make house in this killing machine called America and pay taxes to support our own slow murder and I'm amazed we're not running amok in the streets, and that we can still be capable of gestures of loving after lifetimes of all this.”
David Wojnarowicz, Close to the Knives: A Memoir of Disintegration