Christy Lau's Reviews > Always and Forever, Lara Jean

Always and Forever, Lara Jean by Jenny Han

liked it

Okay, maybe it was sappier than Nicholas Sparks, and maybe it was just as predictable, but I'm willing to drown in an ocean of sap when it comes to Lara Jean and Peter K. The prose was definitely far more polished in the first two books – Lara Jean's excessive expository commentary made my eyes roll too many times to count – but I guess that was to be expected given how this instalment is the biggest fan service I have seen since Red Nose Day Actually. I missed Lara Jean's doe-eyed perspective, her way of (succinctly) folding ordinary moments into dried rose blossoms of teenaged wisdom. I remember rereading passages of To All the Boys I've Loved Before, simply filled with wonder at how relatable she was. I have yet to meet another character whose thoughts I am tempted to respond with, Hey, you stole that from me! Jenny Han was probably focusing on her future with Peter, but Lara Jean's musings in Always and Forever stretched a bit thin and superficial. I still teared up multiple times towards the end though. And the final sentence was perfection.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Always and Forever, Lara Jean.

Quotes Christy Liked

Jenny Han
“Never say no when you really want to say yes.”

Jenny Han
“This is two romantic things in a row, so I figure I should praise him accordingly, because the boy responds well to positive reinforcement.”

Jenny Han
“And grumbling, he does it, in front of everybody, which is how I know he is utterly and completely mine.”

Jenny Han
“I clap my hands in delight. Is there anything more intoxicating than making a boy bend to your will?”

January 11, 2017 – Shelved
January 11, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
May 26, 2017 – Started Reading
May 26, 2017 –
6.0% "This is maybe the second most fan service I've ever seen, the first being Red Nose Day Actually."
May 26, 2017 –
10.0% "Still all fluff and sap, but it's summer and post-exams, so I'm all down for it."
May 26, 2017 – Finished Reading