Samantha's Reviews > Absalom, Absalom!

Absalom, Absalom! by William Faulkner

Jul 22, 2011

it was ok

This book only deserves two stars, because the last two chapters were pretty awesome and I enjoyed seeing Quentin Compson alive again. Otherwise, wow. The narrations were never ending, too much information was repeated ad nauseum, and Faulkner shows just how prententious he really was. The run-on sentences were mind numbing and like my expereince with "As I Lay Dying" I thought I was going blind trying to read it.

Faulkner may be considered a great writer, and he was in a way, but I hate reading his books. They are too tedious and filled with too many experimental passages. The story is not the problem, because the actual storylines are great. It is just the process of unpacking the storyline. I enjoy reading, but I do not like when it feels like a chore to do so. I gain nothing more from a frustrating book than I do from one that is laid out more clearly. It is not thought provoking, it is annoying. Thankfully, this is the last full Faulkner book I will be reading (I still have 100 pages left in "Light In August") unless someone else requires me to read another for a different class. Which I hope will not happen.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Absalom, Absalom!.