L.A.L.'s Reviews > Midnight Crossroad

Midnight Crossroad by Charlaine Harris

liked it
bookshelves: fiction, mystery, paranormal

My rating is somewhere between 3.0 and 3.5 stars. It fluctuates depending on what I consider. In fact, it's in such a flux, I hate to try to rate it. Maybe after I've had some time to digest and ponder it. So I'll just run down the list. I liked the characters, and the characters' backstory and development was clearly thought out, given in snippets and small chunks, and there's clearly more to come in the next book. I actually kind of liked that. I'm interested to see what happens next to these folks.

The pacing and POV was odd. Although written in third person. the story has points when its showing what Fiji, Bobo, or Manfred was doing, thinking, considering. That was an odd choice, but it didn't necessarily distract from the story. At the same time, I'm not sure what it accomplished either as I didn't find that it greatly added to the story. Nor did it seem to effect the pacing, but all the same, I found the pacing weird.

The plot seemed a bit weak. An entire book with no real plot other than a new person moves to Midnight, Texas. This new person is a bit odd and realizes most of the rest of the citizens are a bit odd. And the whole Aubrey (view spoiler) seemed relatively minor in the grand scheme. Then there was the MOL, which seemed more like a plot device in the aforementioned Aubrey-part of the story.

This definitely didn't read like Ms. Harris's other series, and seems to be a shift for her. That's not a criticism, because I think authors should grow, expand, and develop. It just seems to be a rather dramatic shift after her other 4 main series (Aurora Teagarden, Lily Bard Shakespeare, Sookie Stackhouse, and Harper Connelly) which all have a similar feel to them.

So if you are a fan of Ms. Harris, read and judge for yourself. I'll be over here reading the next book, Day Shift, to try to get a better feel for Midnight, Texas.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Midnight Crossroad.

Started Reading