Tori's Reviews > An Unseen Angel: A Mother's Story of Faith, Hope, and Healing after Sandy Hook

An Unseen Angel by Alissa Parker

Jan 31, 2017

I remember where I was when I heard about the Sandy Hook tragedy, December 14, 2012. I was driving to lunch with my husband when the radio show we were listening to said it had been confirmed that most of the victims were possibly first graders. My heart hurt for the families of the victims and for the community of Newtown, Ct. I remember cheering at my son's basketball game that night, and feeling guilty that I was cheering, as I knew these families were in a nightmare they could not wake up from. My heart still hurts when I think about it.
This book was written by Alissa Parker, the mother of sweet little Emilie Parker, one of the victims of Sandy Hook. I wasn't sure how I would feel reading this and I wasn't sure what to expect. Alissa did a beautiful job sharing her family's grief and their path to healing. I loved reading about how they can see Emilie in small, every day miracles. I love that they can feel her presence at times when it is least expected, but very needed. I believe Heaven is real and is closer than we think, so to me it just seems natural, and right, that we would feel our loved ones who have passed on.
The emotions I felt while reading this book varied, but overall I was inspired. Alissa was very open about her feelings towards all the unwanted attention, the nation's touching, overwhelming response, anger towards Adam Lanza, guilt as a parent, and so much more. I appreciated her honesty and her willingness to share her testimony. I feel this book could help other's suffering from grief find a path towards healing as well.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read An Unseen Angel.

January 10, 2017 – Shelved