Marissa's Reviews > Blood Rose Rebellion

Blood Rose Rebellion by Rosalyn Eves

liked it
bookshelves: historical-fiction, fantasy, reviewed-on-blog, ya

I was so excited when I got a digital copy of this from Netgalley for review because the concept intrigued me greatly.

Yet, I was just not a fan...

Anna Arden has known she was Barren, without magic, for years. She carried the shame of it everywhere. Yet she felt drawn to those displaying their own magic. In the world of the Luminate, your magic set your social standing. So for Anna not to have any magic meant she was left hoping for a good match in marriage. After a horrible magical accident during her sister's society party, Anna starts to realize her life is more complicated than she imagined.

She quickly learns that the Luminate are not what she always thought they were. Yes, they controlled the source of magic, but they were not completely honest about the depth and control of the power. Anna's father and grandmother act quickly as it becomes clear that while Anna's connection to magic is different, and Anna starts a journey to Hungary to learn more about her ancestry and the magic that is being held by the Luminate.

In the process, she meets her cousins Matyas, and Noemi, as well as Gabor, a Romani. As her worldview expands with her knowledge of the world around her, her eyes are opened to many injustices and options to help make the world a better place. But will she take the leap of faith that is needed to access magic in a way she never knew was possible?

This story just fell flat. I took a long time thinking about how I wanted to write this review because, in the end, I did not really like the book. And to be honest, I'm not sure why.

There was something missing in the plot. The idea of the magic, and how it unraveled seemed forced. As if the author wasn't sure how to get from point A to point B in the story and just filled the middle with random thoughts and ideas before making the ending flash.

Maybe it is because there is a sequel and this book was supposed to be confusing so that it can be wrapped up in the next one.

Either way, by the end of the book I was not attached to Anna or her plight. I was completely mystified by the actions of Matyas, and Gabor was such a strange add-on character I didn't know where to put him at all.

Do you think I missed something? If you read this one and loved it, and want to help me grasp what every little key I seem to be missing, I'd love to hear from you!

I want to like this book...
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blood Rose Rebellion.

January 10, 2017 – Shelved