Joe's Reviews > The House of the Seven Gables

The House of the Seven Gables by Nathaniel Hawthorne

Mar 27, 2008

did not like it
bookshelves: classics-that-suck

I'm so glad you're dead, Nathaniel Hawthorne.

So this is a classic horror novel in which nothing at all happens for a few hundred pages except the description of some house, an old hag selling oatmeal, and some guy who may or may not have hypnotized the other chick who's boarding there. There might be something scary but I was too busy falling asleep to notice. If Hawthorne were alive, he'd be a zombie, which I'd totally be okay with because then he could get shot in the head by zombie experts. Take that for wasting my time, you dead bastard! One star! Read it and weep!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The House of the Seven Gables.

Finished Reading
March 27, 2008 – Shelved
March 27, 2008 – Shelved as: classics-that-suck

message 1: by Don Incognito (new)

Don Incognito You wouldn't (or probably don't) like The Turn of the Screw, by Henry James, either.

message 2: by Leah (new) - added it

Leah It wasn't intended to be a horror novel. Which is why it's not scary.

message 3: by Joe (new) - rated it 1 star

Joe Henry James is a rollercoaster compared with House of Seven Gables.

Molly It's a romance...

Bukk I think the fact that you for some reason were expecting a horror story explains your massive disappointment.

message 6: by Joe (new) - rated it 1 star

Joe Don Incognito wrote: "You wouldn't (or probably don't) like The Turn of the Screw, by Henry James, either."

Actually, I'm a fan of Henry James and thought of reading that. I'm a fan of well done suspense and I'm a fan of even subtle supernatural writing but House of Seven Gables lacked even the thrill of being subtle. It is mystifying in how it's considered a classic but offers no plot whatsoever, and certainly no real feeling of mystery or hidden motivations. You can get that in Jane Eyre or the works of Sheridan Le Fanu but not here.

message 7: by Joe (new) - rated it 1 star

Joe Molly wrote: "It's a romance..."

It fails miserably, then. Maybe if Hepzibah had gotten some action I would have perked up a bit.