Angela Blount's Reviews > Flirting with Forty

Flirting with Forty by Jane Porter

Jul 22, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: romance

I'd give this a 2.5, but I always round up.

Not a bad book. I actually read it as a persona study in handling long-distance relationships in a literary sense. I rather enjoyed the author's writing style. It took a while to get going, but once it did the pace was steady. It is written in first person, and that seemed to amplify what portions were coming from the author's personal experience. Her inner monologues were interesting, and the character growth regarding perceptions and priorities was strong. The mother/child relationships were believable, and the feminine analysis of age, motherhood, and expectations were poignant at times.

I couldn't form any attachment to the male love interest, which diminished how I felt about the heroine. She never learns much about him, and so, neither did I. I tend to agree with those who thought that the ending felt rushed. It seemed tacked on for the sake a resolution, with not a lot of natural progression to the point it ultimately left you at.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Flirting with Forty.