Victor Davis's Reviews > Dispatches from Pluto: Lost and Found in the Mississippi Delta

Dispatches from Pluto by Richard Grant

Jan 18, 2017

bookshelves: nonfiction

What a delight to read! I picked up this book at one of the dozens of book stores and gift shops in the delta selling it. Part travelogue, part memoir, it's an hysterical exploration of the kooky culture and characters living in the poorest part of the poorest state in the union, the Mississippi Delta, a rich-soiled, cotton-planted floodplain extending from Vicksburg to Memphis. I just finished a weeklong tour of the region myself, so it was especially delightful to read about all the places I'd personally been, and in a few cases, about some of the people I'd actually met myself.

I hope the outlandish descriptions and soulful meanderings convince you to add this region to your list of places to see on your personal travels. If you live in the South, it's only a few hours' drive away. (Be sure to stay at the Shack Up Inn in Clarksdale if you're doing the Blues Trail!)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dispatches from Pluto.

January 9, 2017 – Started Reading