Jocelyn's Reviews > One of Our Thursdays Is Missing

Jul 22, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: mystery
Read in July, 2011

This book is not so much about Thursday Next as about the written version of Thursday Next -- that is, not so much about the real Thursday Next who lives in Swindon as the fictional character who plays Thursday Next in the series. Kind of like the implied character, I guess. (Thought I'd add a bit of literary theory to this book review.) Written Thursday Next is on a mission to find the real Thursday Next, and incidentally save BookWorld.

The book seemed much busier than its predecessors. Not only do we have to keep track of several previous characters from the series, we also have to pay attention to a bunch of new characters, including written Thursday Next plus a few other miscellaneous Thursdays, fake versions of other characters, etc. I feel sorry for anyone who attempts this book without already having read the rest of the series. Some of the constant jokes fell kind of flat for me. The funnier ones included a threat by the leader of the Racy Novel genre to detonate a dirty bomb that would infect Women's Literature with badly-written sex scenes, plus an episode at the beginning involving some characters from Crime and Punishment who introduce themselves (Arkady Ivanovich Svidrigailov, Dmitri Prokofich Razumikhin, etc.) and then get all confused as to who's who and how they are all related to one another.

I didn't love this book, but I did enjoy reading it, so I guess I liked it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One of Our Thursdays Is Missing.

message 1: by Debi (new)

Debi I'll have to get it. I really liked the others but it's been awhile since I've read them.

Debi

Jocelyn Since the "real Thursday" is not the main character in this book, it took me a while to like it. I even read ahead, to see if it got any better. So, be prepared for it to seem a bit different.

Noetic_Hatter The real Thursday's shadow loomed over everything. I didn't mind.

I actually would have been okay with the ending that this one was real. It wouldn't have fit all the evidence, but the use of Psych Thrillers at the end might have let it fit. I kept thinking of Shutter Island.