Chelsea Williford's Reviews > The Sans Pareil Mystery

The Sans Pareil Mystery by Karen Charlton

The second installment of the Detective Lavender series was actually a less interesting mystery but a better book than the first. The first mystery had a bit more MYSTERY to it, but this one was better written and a lot more in depth into the characters. Though I saw every twist and turn coming in THE SANS PEREIL MYSTERY, I actually cared about the characters more this time.

Unlike the first book, Lavender was more accessible and more easy to relate to as a real character. In this story, I found myself actually caring what happened to him. His personal struggles were heartfelt and I actually cared about Magdalena and his relationship with her. In the first book, I remember mostly only caring about Woodes and the side characters, but this time, I really cared about Lavender, Woodes, Magdelana, and even Teresa and Betsy. I feel like the author really found her groove in writing characters as people not as plot pieces for this novel, and it was a far better attempt than the first.

The mystery is interesting enough. All of the twists and turns are very clearly telegraphed along the way, so it isn't an edge-of-your-seat thriller, but it's still worth reading. I was never bored, which is reasonable enough.

I would definitely recommend this one to others who like an easy read in historical fiction.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sans Pareil Mystery.

January 9, 2017 – Started Reading