Melanie's Reviews > The Mime Order

The Mime Order by Samantha Shannon

liked it
bookshelves: dystopian, paranormal, read-in-2017, romance, sci-fi, young-adult

1.) The Bone Season ★★★

Would me writing "I hate Jaxon Hall" over and over again be an acceptable review? Because that's honestly how I'm feeling right about now.

“A boy who begged for books and pens as often as he did for coin. A boy with arms torn to ribbons by fingernails, plotting his escape from poverty.”

The Mime Order picks up right where the The Bone Season leaves off, and I mean exactly how it leaves off: our group is on the train, and their escape from Sheol I didn't go quite as planned. I was filled with so much excitement; I couldn't wait to see what would happen when Paige and the gang returned to London! Yet, to my remorseful surprise, after the action packed opener the book felt pretty stagnant for quite some time.

My biggest issue with this book: Warden didn't show up until after 40% of the way through this book. Like, if a ton of exciting things were going on during that 40% to make up for Paige and Warden's amazing dynamic being missing than I would have been fine, but the story only started getting good, in my opinion, once Warden showed up. The first 40% was dull and uneventful. Yeah, later those dull and uneventful moments became something great, but it was still a little bit of work to force myself to read on.

The best part of this book: The exploration of how this shady government group is deceiving everyone. They are spewing lies and hate, and making everyone afraid of each other, while trying to cover-up that they are working alongside an even worse evil.

“Hope is the lifeblood of revolution. Without it, we are nothing but ash, waiting for the wind to take us.”

The problems I had with information-dumping in The Bone Season subsided completely. These characters and this alternative London is starting to feel like home, and I really enjoyed that.

As far as new characters and locations, I loved reading about Jacob's Island and the Jacobites. It felt just like Ketterdam from Six of Crows to me. I was so enthralled so fast, and I didn't nearly get enough of it. Please, give me more Wynn Jacob and more of this island in book three!

I love the ragtag group that is known as The Seven Seals. Well, obviously I have issues with one of those Seals (and two others at the end), but I love their dynamic as a whole. The fourth scrimmage in the history of the London Syndicate gave me all the feels. Like, I reread that scene three times because I freaking loved it that much. The angst, the betrayal, the quick thinking, the cleaver mechanics, the waiting to see who chose what side, I loved it all!

The ending, for as much as it brought me rage, was amazing. It made me so thankful I received an ARC of the The Song Rising, and it made me want to ignore all of my scheduled February reading and start it immediately. So, that is pretty impressive and quite the hype I'm putting on it. Hopefully, it doesn't let me down, because I have super high hopes for it and the Black Moth!

“Words are everything. Words give wings even to those who have been stamped upon, broken beyond all hope of repair.”

Blog | Twitter | Tumblr | Instagram | Youtube | Twitch

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mime Order.

January 9, 2017 – Shelved
January 9, 2017 – Shelved as: sci-fi
January 9, 2017 – Shelved as: young-adult
January 24, 2017 – Started Reading
January 26, 2017 –
40.0% "Okay, but like, where is Warden?
"
January 30, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)

Sammm [if you hadn't noticed, yeah, somewhat on hiatus] When I saw how many stars you gave; I was like "oh no, she didn't like it more than she did book one!" (You probably didn't? Lol) After reading your review; idk if it's wishful thinking... But it does sound more positive? xD Like I said, really hope me putting a good word for book two didn't do it a disservice.

Anyhow, I agree on the part about Warden, though I didn't have problems with it; it was more like, I was so entrance with what was happening, that by the time I realized I've read a good deal of portion already, it then surprised me into thinking... "Wait... But is Warden going to appear in this book's main story arc!?" Lol.

BTW, I wonder if you had some sort of similar feeling towards Nashira's situation in this book?

message 2: by Melanie (last edited Jan 30, 2017 07:44PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Melanie Sammm wrote: "When I saw how many stars you gave; I was like "oh no, she didn't like it more than she did book one!" (You probably didn't? Lol) After reading your review; idk if it's wishful thinking... But it d..."

Oh my gosh, no, I loved that you hyped this book for me! I'm just trying to be more critical with my reviews, lately. I really did enjoy this one. The last half was honestly 5 star worthy; I was beyond addicted! Your good word meant a lot to me! <3 Thank you.

I lost my shit with Nashira at the end of this book! Like, I HAVE to know what happens. I cannot for the life of me believe Jaxson!

Have you read The Song Rising yet?

Sammm [if you hadn't noticed, yeah, somewhat on hiatus]
Melanie wrote: "[...] Your good word meant a lot to me! <3 Thank you.

[...] Have you read The Song Rising yet? "

Awww, you're welcome! Thank you for giving this one a chance! I think a lot of people gave up this series because of the first book, so I'm glad to see another person finishing this one! =D

And yes, TSR is the 2nd to the last book I finished in 2016. Will definitely be rereading it to see if my opinion towards it would get better when it comes to the final draft lol.

Melanie Sammm wrote: "
Melanie wrote: "[...] Your good word meant a lot to me! <3 Thank you.

[...] Have you read The Song Rising yet? "

Yeah, I'm really impressed with the debut author/series. At this rate, I for sure want to read to the end! It is going to take all of my self control to not look at your review for TSR now, haha! <3 Happy reading, love! >^.^<

Maryam I enjoyed these series so far. I think u'd like the third book too, it's not this long too.

Melanie Maryam wrote: "I enjoyed these series so far. I think u'd like the third book too, it's not this long too."

This makes me excited, Maryam! Thank you! <3

Sammm [if you hadn't noticed, yeah, somewhat on hiatus]
Melanie wrote: "It is going to take all of my self control to not look at your review for TSR now, haha! <3"

Ahaha, you have basically nothing to fear! I have not yet posted an actual review for TSR at the moment! Even the review I posted on NetGalley was a review about the book cover lmao (but hey, I think the style change deserves to be critiqued!)

Though I'd say I did jot down some thoughts as I update my reading progress, so that's the place you might be spoiled. Other than that there's no review. xP

I'm super slow on writing reviews... There's like 50+ books I've marked to review still lol.

message 8: by Liz (new)

Liz Fantastic review! :)

message 9: by Vanessa (new) - added it

Vanessa I decided that because of the mixed reviews, I will not be buying this book at the full price of $25 (or even the $18 sale cost on Amazon). I appreciate when authors take their time to tell a story and Samantha Shannon is clearly talented, but I don't want to trudge through a book. If we're comparing, I liked Paige Mahoney better than say Katniss Everdeen. I will be seeking to buy through a third party seller for a lower cost because I'm still curious but I don't think it will be worth such a high investment. Thank you for your honest review!

Melanie Elizabeth wrote: "Fantastic review! :)"

Thank you, Elizabeth! <3 xo

Melanie Vanessa wrote: "I decided that because of the mixed reviews, I will not be buying this book at the full price of $25 (or even the $18 sale cost on Amazon). I appreciate when authors take their time to tell a story..."

In The Song Rising that Katniss comparisons are out of this world. Like, it is impossible to unsee!

It feels a little bad, because the cover of The Song Rising that matches the previous US editions are a limited time/signed promotion. Like, if you can make them limited time, you can just print them and let people have a collection that matches. So yeah, I totally understand you not wanting to spend $25 on this book, especially if they are changing the covers, haha! <3

Thank you for your kind words, Vanessa! <3

SueBee★bring me an alpha!★ Super review Melanie! = ) xx

message 13: by Gelisvb (new)

Gelisvb I'm so bored by this book! It's well wriiten but nothing really happens