Lainy's Reviews > Mary's the Name

Time taken to read - 2 days

Pages - 314

Publisher - Cranachan

Blurb from Goodreads

An eight-year-old girl and her granpa are on the run…

“When me and Granpa watched James Bond films, he told me not to be scared because people didn’t have guns like that in Scotland. That must’ve been why the robbers used hammers.”

Orphaned Mary lives with her granpa, but after he is mixed up in a robbery at the bookies where he works, they flee to the Isle of Skye. Gradually, Mary realises that her granpa is involved. And the robbers are coming after him–and their money.

Mary’s quirky outlook on life, loss, and her love of all things Elvis, will capture your heart. Full of witty Scots banter, Mary’s the Name will have you reaching for the hankies, first with laughter, then with tears.

My Review

An eight-year-old girl and her granpa are on the run…

My Review

Meet eight year old Mary Sutherland and her Granpa, a dynamic duo against the world, Mary loves Elvis and Granpa is her whole world. When the betting shop, where Granpa works, gets held up, everything changes for Mary and the two have to up sticks and head to Granpa's pals house for a wee visit to the Isle of Skye. It isn't too long before Mary catches on that everything isn't as it seems and the robbers are coming too!

This lovely wee book arrived with a wee bookies slip, a bag of sweets and best of all an Elvis face mask. As a debut novel you are never too sure what to expect however a book set in Scotland, heart warming and laced with Scottish banter, who could say no! An eight year old's out look on life is always unique, kids are amazing and their view is so pure Mary is no different and hilarious in some of her quips.

A wee book about family, friendships, love, honor and the age old actions and consequences, laced with adventure, humor and sadness this wee book will take you on an emotive roller coaster. You would never guess this is a debut, very well written and I just loved the card trick Iain showed Mary, I have always loved cards so this was just the cherry on top.

A lovely setting, beautiful location and whilst the pace isn't a fast packed action race, it is a beautiful tale that sweeps the reader along. 4/5 for me this time, thanks to Sayers
and Cranachan for sending me a copy of this book. I will certainly be watching out for more from this author and may take another visit along to the bookies, I nipped in after reading this to my nearest Labrokes.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mary's the Name.

January 9, 2017 – Started Reading