Emily Henry's Reviews > Darcy's Hope: Beauty from Ashes: A WWI Pride & Prejudice Variation

Darcy's Hope by Ginger Monette

Darcy’s Hope ~ Beauty from Ashes, the fan-fiction retelling of the classic Pride and Prejudice, successfully takes Miss Elizabeth Bennet, Mr. Fitzwilliam Darcy, and other beloved Austenian characters from the early 19th century novel and plants them at the front lines of WWI Europe. While the essence of the characters is not compromised for the die-hard Jane Austen fan, there are certainly new plots, twists, and turns that will keeps the story fresh.

I found myself constantly curious to see how my favorite characters would respond in such perilous and unpredictable times. While I knew that Darcy and Elizabeth would eventually end up together, Ginger Monette successfully creates a fresh romance between one of literature’s most classic couples. This story is full of both old and new misunderstandings, sorrows, pride, prejudice, sacrifice, and humility.

Darcy’s first and insulting proposal to Miss Bennet is used as a springboard for the overarching themes in Monette’s retelling. As a result, the storyline does not contain much of what led to Darcy’s initial affection for Miss Bennet. The minimal appearances of many supporting roles, such as Elizabeth’s sister Jane and Mr. Bingley were missed.

While I do not think it is necessary to be familiar with the original Pride and Prejudice to understand Monette’s version, it is recommended. There are certain parts of the storyline that are left out based on the assumption of the reader’s knowledge of the original novel.

Overall, this is a very enjoyable retelling of Pride and Prejudice. I highly recommend it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Darcy's Hope.

Finished Reading