Marcy Turner's Reviews > The War that Saved My Life

The War that Saved My Life by Kimberly Brubaker Bradley

Jan 08, 2017

bookshelves: newberry-winners

When a book makes me think about it for long after I have finished it I know it was a good one. The War that Saved my life was one such book. This was a different perspective of World War II than I have explored in the past. Rather than focusing on the battles or various adult issues, this story instead dealt with the youngest victims of the war: the children who were evacuated from London to cities in the country to protect them from bombings. As if being afraid of war wasn't bad enough, 10 year old Ada Smith lived in constant terror of her mother, who kept her hidden in their flat because she was embarrassed of Ada's club foot. Ada's mother hit her constantly, locked her away, and prevented her from life outside of their home. When Ada hears that children are being evacuated, she finds a way to run away from her horrible life with her mother.

In Kent, Ada and her brother are placed with Susan, who made it very clear that she did not want to care for any children. As Ada discovers the world outside her flat, she has to learn simple things like what grass is, but, more importantly, she must learn to trust others as well as herself.

This book is a wonderful example of how there is both bad and good in the world, and how love trumps hate, even when things seem absolutely desperate. Highly deserving of its Newberry honor, I absolutely recommend this book to both children and adults.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The War that Saved My Life.

January 5, 2017 – Started Reading