Sarah's Reviews > Dress Codes for Small Towns

Dress Codes for Small Towns by Courtney C. Stevens

liked it
bookshelves: netgalley-edelweiss, contemporary, r2r-read, read-2017, romance, glbt, young-adult

“I am dressed as a boy, I have kissed a girl, I have met people outside my usual web. No one cares. I am hidden. I am perfectly transparent.
This is it. This is living.”

This was a YA contemporary story about a girl who wasn’t sure about her sexuality.

Billie was an okay character but I found it quite difficult to really connect with her, I’m not sure why this was, but it took me a long while to warm up to her.

The storyline in this was about Billie being unsure about whether she liked boys or girls, and wanting to kiss several members of her small group of friends just to see what it was like. We also got a storyline about Billie and her gang having to do some community service after accidentally setting fire to the church youth group room, and a competition to be crowned ‘corn dolly’ of the village. I have to say that I found the first half of this book incredibly boring though, and I kept wanting to put this down and not pick it up again. Things did pick up a bit during the second half of the story, but I still found that the book didn’t hold my attention well, and I didn’t like it as much as the author’s previous books.

The ending to this was okay, but I just didn’t enjoy this one much.

6 out of 10

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dress Codes for Small Towns.