Nandini Bharadwaj's Reviews > In Truth and Ashes

In Truth and Ashes by Nicole Luiken

bookshelves: 2017, favourites, reviewed-on-ub
Recommended for: everyone who can read!

Note: I received a free e-copy of the book via Net Galley in exchange for an honest review

Actual rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars

Characters:
I am a huge fan of the way the author crafts her female leads. Belinda started off like a spineless rich girl with a marred past, but I warmed up to her as the plot progressed and she started taking more decisions on her own, still living by her old values that she'd grown up with. I didn't like Demian as much, but the romance was still believable and cute. Although Ellona was quite harsh and not the typical warm grandmother, her character was a good addition to the cast. Leah goes through so much in the course of the entire series that you can't help but wish she could get just a little bit of happiness for once, but I like how strong her circumstances made her - definitely my favourite of the five (even though I didn't always agree with her choices). The others from previous books put in little cameos as well and I wish I could get more of them, but I understand why the author didn't do that.

Plot and Setting:
Luiken just upped her game with the world-building in this one. It delves deep into the creation of the Mirror Worlds and the myths surrounding that, which I did not expect at all and was completely blown away by it. The True World is again a fascinating place, combining the best of the other four and having its own intricate political environment and ceremonies. As for the plot, it is relentless in its pace and the story starts off at such an exciting point that it forces you to read the book in one sitting. I was slightly disappointed with Malachi and felt that the disciple was a better antagonist, but I was still entertained throughout.

Writing Style:
After reading the previous books, the writing style has grown on me. A few phrases still sometimes surprise me because the word choice is unconventional, but it's not necessarily bad. I am in awe of how the author describes all those complicated and beautifully imaginative worlds so the reader can clearly picture the details of each of them. I also like how she manages to make all her heroines sound different, giving them all distinct personalities although they're supposed to be copies of each other.

Conclusion:
Being approved to receive the ARC of the third book is what got me into the series and I'm so glad I did. I honestly didn't want the book to end and would've loved to see more of what happened in the other worlds after the climax. It's definitely made it to my favourites list. I wish more people would pick this up and give it a chance because it has some amazing characters, fantastic world-building, a superb plot and an easy-to-follow writing style.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In Truth and Ashes.

January 8, 2017 – Shelved