Antonia Vyr.'s Reviews > A History of the World in 100 Objects

A History of the World in 100 Objects by Neil MacGregor

Jan 08, 2017

Read from January 08 to April 01, 2017

Overall it is a really interesting book.
There are lots of items that were created by non Mediterranean civilizations, for which I had very few or no knowledge of and that makes the book particularly interesting.
The only thing that I didn't like, and that's the reason I gave four stars instead of five, is the writers effort to describe each item with the same number of pages; sometimes reading became quite boring, the information were quite repetitive.
Having said that it is an easy read book, which one can read in parallel with something else, and it really adds to the way we see the history of mankind.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A History of the World in 100 Objects.

01/08 marked as: to-read
01/08 marked as: currently-reading
01/15
4.0% "So far it is really interesting.
What I found amazing is that the creation of a handaxe stimulates the same areas in the human brain as speech. Thus, scientists figured out approximately when man started to speak"
02/16
53.0% "Reading this book, I just realised, just how violent were the native American civilizations. Too much blood, too much ceremonial killing... I don't think there is an equivalent in Europe or Asia; maybe the Romans?"
02/27
68.0% "From a chapter about Hinduism: "...God may perhaps best be conceived not as a single isolated spirit but as a joyous loving couple, and that physical love is not evidence of fallen humanity but an essential part of the divine.""
04/02 marked as: read