Rebecca McNutt's Reviews > The Selfish Gene

The Selfish Gene by Richard Dawkins

did not like it
bookshelves: science, non-fiction, religion, psychology

There's a good reason I imagine why The Selfish Gene was Jeffrey Skilling's favourite book.

I'm agnostic myself, so I'm impartial, but Dawkins is so cynical, so against the idea that there is more to us as individual human beings than just intelligent apes meant to give birth, grow old and die, that he seems almost, for lack of a better phrase, sociopathic or antisocial. He leaves very little room for the profound depths of emotion, companionship, imagination, nostalgia or anything that goes against his view that we are just materialistic monkeys who won't matter to anyone a hundred years from now. I found him as a narrator of this book to be rather obnoxious and appalling, and I don't think he understands just how unique our minds and meanings to one another really are. I don't think we are divine beings, but I don't think we are just animals, either. I think there's more to the human race than that. I'm not talking about religion, I'm talking about humanity. This book tries to prove a point, but portrays humans as consuming, greedy, sex maniac gorillas who only exist to reproduce. Perhaps that is true in some ways, but not all humans are alike and to generalize them in this manner leaves no room for anything beyond Dawkins' view of logic. I think he's very full of himself, convinced he has all the answers, and the truth is nobody knows everything about the world and the only thing selfish about The Selfish Gene is the author himself, who seems to pride himself on putting down anyone who doesn't share his values.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Selfish Gene.

January 7, 2017 – Shelved
January 7, 2017 – Shelved as: science
January 7, 2017 – Shelved as: non-fiction
January 7, 2017 – Shelved as: religion
January 7, 2017 – Shelved as: psychology
Started Reading
January 8, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

message 1: by Leo (new)

Leo . I like your review Rebecca. I am a bit biased though as I think Dawkins is a bit of a prat. 🐯👍

Lucas You should read his book the god delusion which is actually about the subject which you are replying to instead of biology as this book is

message 3: by Patrick (new) - added it

Patrick Macmillan Your review made me actually want to read the book. We are just animals. To think that there’s more to us humans than that may not be exactly a religion but it is something very similar, an ideology: humanism.