Mikayla's Reviews > The Girl Who Fell from the Sky

The Girl Who Fell from the Sky by Heidi W. Durrow

did not like it

As a person of mixed raced (nearly exact of Durrow's main character Rachel), I really thought that I would love this novel and fall in love with the characters and Heidi Durrow. The exact opposite happened.
I'm sorry to say, but Durrow is an awful writer. Her one-stream lined consciousness is just not my taste, especially in fiction novels with one main character (though Durrow does switch from character to character narration with extremely awkward timing).
Looking at the back cover and author biography, it's clear that Durrow is writing loosely about her own autobiographical accounts as a mulatto woman in a young girls body.
Race is always a touchy subject, and for myself, I prefer stories that are less overt and more subtle hints about race instead of Durrow's style of:
"I'm black. I'm white. I have blue eyes."
"Black girl this. White girl that."
After reading this novel, it's clear to see that Durrow still has some issues of her own she needs to figure out about her own identity, because does Rachel even find out her own identity--really?
I know this book has been praised by a lot of people, but for me, it's just another tragic mulatto story that should be left in the diary of Heidi Durrow.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl Who Fell from the Sky.

July 18, 2011 – Started Reading
July 21, 2011 – Shelved
July 21, 2011 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Chantilly Patiño For me, the point seemed to be the demonstration of what it's like to navigate through two communities while growing up mixed. I think the book did a brilliant job of exploring the emotions and thoughts that a child might have growing up mixed in American culture. <3

Danielle Mikayla, thanks for having the strength to speak up. I was beginning to wonder if I read the same book as the rest of these people.