Kelly's Reviews > Good Girls Don't

Jul 21, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: sizzling-summer-reading-challenge, steamy-reads, secrets-reviewed
Read from July 21 to 23, 2011

I had mixed feelings about this book. I really liked the story and the characters but they made me so mad sometimes.

Tessa was a strong, independent character, hell-bent on keeping her family together. I liked that she put her family first but there were sometimes I just wanted to smack her because of the way she was trying to go about it. She is outgoing, smart and headstrong. She always goes after what she wants, in business and in her personal life. Despite her brothers' attempts to derail her romance with Luke, she lets Luke know exactly what she wants and isn't afraid of putting it all out on the table. She takes the same approach with her business, making her voice heard and not backing down when things get rough. I like that she is a "grab the bull by the horns" kind of girl.

I wasn't really sure about Luke. He was a deep character with flaws and internal struggles. He wasn't an alpha, which is normally my favorite type of guy, but I still liked him. His issues with his partner as well as with his ex made him real. His struggles are straight out of real life and it helped me connect with him on a personal level. However, sometimes I wished he was more take-charge. There were times that he almost seemed to back down and I don't usually like that in the male characters.

The conflict was simple enough. A break-in, an investigation and a business deal in turmoil. And I really don't think that part of the story was anything extraordinary. There was a lot of focus on the business deal, but even that seemed to center mostly around the characters as opposed to the business. Overall, I think this book was more about the characters and their relationships, which is fine, except that I felt like the author could have taken this story to the next level if she had put a little more into the different conflicts.

The secondary characters made me just as crazy as the main characters, which is probably a good thing, since there are more books coming. The fact that they stand out in my mind after finishing this book is a pretty good sign that I will be picking up the next one.

You can find my full review here: http://secretsofabooklover.blogspot.c...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Good Girls Don't.

Quotes Kelly Liked

Victoria Dahl
“We just went out for dinner. We didn't participate in a Roman orgy, I swear.”
tags: tessa

Victoria Dahl
“Aw, hell, Tessa. I was in ninth grade. By the time I got to the part where I imagined a girl without panties on, it was all over.”
tags: luke

Victoria Dahl
“You're walking around here with a smile on your face, Asher. It's freaking everybody out.”

07/21/2011 page 59
07/22/2011 page 180
47.0% "Ahh, the tension! I want to smack someone!"