Kim's Reviews > Shadowed Strength

Shadowed Strength by Wendi L. Wilson

Mar 08, 2017

bookshelves: fantasy

YA, especially YA Paranormal, is one of the genres that tends to be either very good or very bad. In spite of a few small issues, I very much enjoyed this YA paranormal by Wendi Wilson.
I found the teenage characters believable, the relationship and dialogue between Melanie and her best friend Tara in particular seemed especially strong. The main characters felt like real people and I found Melanie's journey from self-loathing to strength, with the support of her mother, best friend and handsome new boyfriend, quite delightful.
The plot is somewhat predictable but the story is well written, and because of the strength of the characters, the predictability doesn't detract from an entertaining read. The pace varies enormously, it's mostly just right for the story but it does feel a little sluggish in parts, Melanie's insistence on doubting herself and in particular doubting Jeremy's feelings for her do become the tiniest bit repetitive.
I've become accustomed to YA books in the first person, this is written in the third person, but with a strong narrative voice. The character of Melanie is detailed quite quickly and held consistently to the end of the story. The ending is great – it's a bit of a cliffhanger and I'm sure it leads nicely into the next book – but Melanie's biggest problem is neatly resolved.
I have no hesitation in recommending this book to anyone who enjoys YA paranormal reads.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shadowed Strength.

Finished Reading