Scarlet Heavens's Reviews > Legacies

Legacies by Mercedes Lackey

Jul 21, 2011

Well, there are a lot of things I would like to say about this book. Some are positive, some are negative, but I gave it 5 stars, because, even though I expected it, I didn't see the word 'kiss' in it, which pleased me a lot.

Positive:
1. I loved the Harry Potter references. May be some people would find it stupid, but I loved the ''Thank you, Professor Dumbledore" thing.
2. I liked all of the characters. They felt real, with personalities, likes and dislikes, and even throughout the novel, you could predict their actions, which only made them more real.
3. I liked the story, the way the POV shifted to the victims(we don't see a lot of that in YA novels) the mystery and the clues was all perfectly made.
4. As I mentioned before, the fact that even though we see a little chemistry between the characters,there isn't any actual romance, which is a relief, really, for a moment I thought that we were going to be shown a love triangle here, but, fortunately, it's left for the rest of the books in these series.

Negative:
1. The fact that the plot wasn't completely solved. I know that the writer needed material for the rest of the books in these series, but, still. I wish it did, and we would get to see some new adventures.
2. The fact that Doctor Ambrosius was an unreliable character. I mean, you turn them into mice the first time you meet them, and than, you can barely remember the names? Not cool whatsoever. I wish Spirit could rely on him at least.
3. I know it is supposed to be something big, but I wish Spirit had her own magic discovered in this book. But I guess, I will have to wait for that.

Though there are similarities to Harry Potter, I still liked it. It has become one of my favorites,and I truly hope I will not be disappointed with the next installment.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Legacies.