Cat C's Reviews > Hard Rhythm

Hard Rhythm by Cecilia Tan

F 50x66

bookshelves: giveaways, erotic-romance

A sex-positive book with complex characters, an important message, and lots of kink.

I received a copy of this book from a Goodreads giveaway. I might not have read it otherwise, as the heat level was a little much for me. But, lovers of erotic romance, rejoice: this is a really good erotic romance.

The hero is a rock star, though his band doesn't really come into play (pun intended; there aren't conflicts about his being away on concert tours and whatnot, like I expected with a musician hero). Instead, the settings are fairly intimate; even when the hero and heroine aren't alone, they're usually at a sex party or sex dungeon, with other people cheering them on for what I would, uh, typically consider a private encounter. Again, the book is incredibly sex-positive and features adventurous sexuality, but the elements like voyeurism, exhibitionism, and BDSM went much farther than I prefer in my reading. I definitely appreciate the openness and acceptance with which the characters and their community are portrayed, again, these are just not elements that appeal to me personally.

What I liked most about this book was that Cecilia Tan weaves an important message into her story, about how BDSM is a consensual practice of sexual fantasy and is COMPLETELY different from domestic abuse (yes, it is a theme discussed in backstory and in the present plot). She even includes the USA National Domestic Violence Hotline number in the narrative and in the author's note (1-800-799-7233). Tan's website describes her as an activist in addition to an author, and I appreciated that her advocacy for the practice of safe, consensual BDSM as well as the protection and support of those who experience domestic violence shone through in this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hard Rhythm.

January 5, 2017 – Shelved