Elke's Reviews > 2016 on Goodreads

2016 on Goodreads by Various

bookshelves: year-review

My year in books, 2016

This is my first year here on Goodreads. I started using it because I was looking for more variation in my reading. I wanted to read books I loved, books I had never heard of, books that were old and books that were new. Diverse books from diverse genres. Books that would challenge me and broaden my thinking. And it worked. Kind of.

I found the 2016 popsugar reading challenge. I wanted to follow it, and keep track of it here on Goodreads. However, for every book I read there were at least three more I discovered I wanted to read. I fear I will have an endless TBR. This also resulted in not always reading books that fit the prompts. Or staying in my usual genre (YA) because there were always books like that to fit the challenge as well. To be honest, I did not always look at the prompts to see which books I would pick. Sometimes (or maybe most of the time) it went the other way around.
Still, even with all those things, it worked. Kind of.

I’m happy I did it, happy I ended up here, and happy I started writing reviews.
So without further ado, and more for me than for you; here is the list with prompts and the books I (chose to) read.
(Links with * indicate I have reviewed this book)

A book based on a fairy tale: Cinder
A National Book Award winner: Grip (Dutch)
A YA bestseller: originally I picked up Mrs. Perigrine's home for peculiar children for this, but since I need that for a different category: An Ember in the Ashes*
A book you haven’t read since high school: Graceling
A book set in your home state: if the setting is not particulary important: Kies (Dutch)
A book translated to English: A Silent Voice
A romance set in the future: Kindred Spirits: at the time of writing (and reading) it was just before a new Star Wars movie, so technically it was in the future, even though it is contemporary. No? :)
A book set in Europe: The Little Shop of Happy Ever After*
A book that’s under 150 pages: The Tell-Tale Heart
A New York Times bestseller: there are multiple I did read, but my original pick was Mrs. Perigrine's Home for Peculiar Children
A book recommended by someone you just met: The Wild Party (dankjewel, Clara)
A self-improvement book: I’m Not Supposed to Feel Like This (which I still haven’t finished)
A book you can finish in a day: Of Fire and Stars* (and more)
A book written by a celebrity: Binge
A political memoir: I didn’t manage this one yet, but I am Malala is still high on my TBR
A book at least 100 years older than you: Macbeth*
A book that’s more than 600 pages: My original pick was The Name of the Wind. I didn’t get to that, however, so I will let Winter substitute.
A book from Oprah’s Book Club: Love in the Time of Cholera* (sorry Oprah)
A science fiction novel: I thought I had read none this year, but I saw goodreads users classify The Lunar Chronicles as s-f, so I’ll go with Scarlet
A book recommended by a family member: Utopia*
A graphic novel: Nimona
A book that is published in 2016: A Court of Mist and Fury
A book with a protagonist who has your occupation: Wrong* (fitting title)
A book that takes place during summer: The Unexpected Everything*
A book and its prequel: Alice in Wonderland* and as prequel Heartless*
A murder mystery: The Girl on the Train
A book written by a comedian: Bossypants*, and, since I did not finish that: Where am I now?*
A dystopian novel: Under the Never Sky
A book with a blue cover: All the Bright Places
A book of poetry: Chasers of the Light
The first book you see in a bookstore: Raad eens hoeveel ik van je hou
A classic from the 20th century: My original plan was To Kill a Mockingbird, which I now hope to read this year. In the end I went with The Old Man and the Sea
A book from the library: De kolonel krijgt nooit post*
An autobiography: When Breath Becomes Air
A book about a road trip: Amy & Rodgers Epic Detour*
A book about a culture you’re unfamiliar with: De vliegeraar*
A satirical book: Politically Correct Bedtime Stories
A book that takes place on an island: We Were Liars
A book that’s guaranteed to bring you joy: I was going to reread Harry Potter for this, but then I didn’t. What did really bring me joy (and made me laugh out loud) was My Lady Jane

I read some others too, but this is already a great overview. It also includes my top three reads of this year (in no particular order): An Ember in the Ashes, A Court of Mist and Fury and When Breath Becomes Air.
Honourable mention for My Lady Jane.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 2016 on Goodreads.

January 5, 2017 – Shelved