Trey Weller's Reviews > The Forgetting Moon

The Forgetting Moon by Brian Lee Durfee

U 50x66

An exceptionally promising debut.

Stop me if you've heard this one before. Nail, an orphan boy of mysterious parentage, is raised by a distant male guardian in a small village. When his home is attacked, he is forced on the run, and he discovers he is at the center of matters of epic importance.

I kid, I kid. But the point I'm trying to get at is that Brian Lee Durfee is building his planned five book saga The Five Warrior Angels upon the firmest roots of the fantasy genre. But what he does with these building blocks feels fresh, new, and utterly invigorating. The action is crackling and intense, the characters have a lot of depth for the amount of worldbuilding Durfee packs in, and the pacing rarely stumbles.

And Nail isn't our only window into Durfee's world. There is also Tala Bronachell, a member of the royal family who is thrust into a conspiracy which forces her to examine the secrets of the place she calls home; and her older sister Jondralynn, who is in even deeper (and who may be the standout character of the book). Not to mention Gault Aulbrek, a member of the invading army, and a couple of others along the way.

Suffice it to say that Durfee's world is big. But to his credit, he doesn't ever feel overwhelmed by its vastness. The Forgetting Moon benefits from having such a rich tapestry to play with, and Durfee seems to revel in hinting at the even greater things in store. In the same vein, this is a long book, particularly for an author's first novel, but Durfee holds it all together with aplomb. After almost eight hundred pages of reading, I'm well and truly sucked into the characters' plights, and eagerly await the publication of The Blackest Heart, tentatively slated for Summer 2018. It can't come soon enough.

The best debut I've read in a while. Get your hands on it ASAP, before it becomes The Next Big Thing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Forgetting Moon.

Finished Reading
January 5, 2017 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Brian Durfee /\ nice review!