Brad's Reviews > Where the Wild Things Are

Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak

Mar 26, 2008

bookshelves: faves, children

Of all the books I read my kids, and there are many, this is my favourite to perform.

It is so easy to turn Where the Wild Things Are into a a big, rollicking tickle fest, and I am never able to resist the urge. When those Wild Things show up with their "terrible roars" and "terrible eyes" and "terrible claws," I attack my kids with everything I've got until they are reduced to quivering masses of giggled out jelly.

And Max, the King of the Wild Things, is one of the coolest kids in any kids book ever. Sure he's being too much of a "Wild Thing," which gets him sent to bed, but he's not your modern kid. There's no brattiness and entitlement. Just a cool kid getting a little crazy on fun before being sent off to bed and a great adventure in his dreams.

And when he comes back from his adventure he finds his dinner waiting for him...and it's still hot.

Super cool fun for you and your kids.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Where the Wild Things Are.

Finished Reading
March 26, 2008 – Shelved
April 3, 2008 – Shelved as: faves
September 13, 2008 – Shelved as: children

message 1: by James (new)

James Looking forward to the (Spike Jonez) movie?
Trailer is on-line if you're curious.

Brad I saw it last night, actually. I am impressed by the art direction already, but I am not sure how I am going to like the necessary expansion of the narrative. I think the choice for live action could be better than animated in terms of Max and the Wild Things. We shall see (probably opening night).

message 3: by Trevor (new)

Trevor This was one of my first acts of reverse psychology with my daughter. We went to the library and I said, "One day, when you are very much older, I will borrow that book for you and read it to you, but not now. You are still far too young and it will only frighten you to death". Later that night after I finished she said, "Dad,that wasn't scary at all".

Brad Nicely done, Trevor. Is she still a fan?

I rewatched the trailer with my kids, James, and they were pretty excited, so I found myself becoming excited too. I hope it's good. I do love that Spike Jonez has suspended his own salary to get the movie finished, and that he's worked four years on it. That shows great dedication. Of course, it could also mean that the movie's poor. I sure hope not.

message 5: by Trevor (new)

Trevor She started uni last year and as a Christmas present I bought her a t-shirt with the cover of the book on it. She wears it to Uni which, I have to admit, amuses me no end.

I don't keep up with films, but I must look out for this one. Like you, I would wonder how you could make this into a film - a short film perhaps, but a movie?