Annie's Reviews > Ever So Madly

Ever So Madly by J.R. Gray

Different genre that captured my full attention

Ever So Madly is a sci-fi romance, something I wouldn’t normally read, and yet I was completely caught up in the story. I think I would classify this romance with a touch of sci-fi. It takes place on other planets and thus incorporates advanced technology and alternate governments, but those elements are mainly a device to propel the story. The concept was unique and really showcased the author’s creativity, particularly some of the technologies used by the characters. I liked how though it was sci-fi, Mr. Gray kept the devices the characters used close enough to ones used currently. It allowed me to easily picture the scenes and immerse myself in the story. The writing puzzled me a little. It felt a bit stilted and the pacing would meander and I found myself easily distracted at the start. Around the halfway mark, things picked up and the main conflict of the two opposing factions becomes focused. The characters are forced to find ways to be together despite their different stations in life. I loved the action scenes, the emotional turmoil the characters grappled with, and the way that all tied into the government and outside conflicts. I was fully engaged at this point, and intrigued how all the loose ends would tie together. I found the characters themselves likable. The book is written in alternating first person point of view, which allowed the reader to fully understand how the different upbringings affected the characters’ views of life and relationships. The secondary characters were equally interesting, developed almost as though the author has intentions of having a second book with the same cast. The interactions between friends, family, and lovers flowed naturally, with some fun twists I hadn’t expected. While the romance features an instant connection and Madden and Jocelynn’s feelings deepen quickly, the insta-love factor made sense for the plot progression and didn’t devalue the relationship. The book ends with a satisfying, yet slightly open-ended conclusion and I wouldn’t hesitate picking up a second book set in this world. Despite the jagged pacing and inconsistent writing style, the storyline, characters, and world JR Gray built had my full attention. If you’re looking for something different plot-wise, this is a great read.

*Alpha Book Club received an ecopy of this title. The author and publisher had no influence over this review*

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ever So Madly.

January 5, 2017 – Started Reading
January 5, 2017 – Shelved
January 5, 2017 –
18.0% "Intrigued yet a little lost"
January 6, 2017 –
50.0% "the writing and pacing is still throwing me but I'm completely intrigued"
January 7, 2017 – Shelved as: reviewed-for-blog