Jo's Reviews > Eve

Eve by Anna Carey

Jul 20, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: for-review, ya, things-are-rotten-in-the-state-of-d, oh-come-on, own
Read from July 20 to 21, 2011

”He was a strange breed of man, part wild. Not the sophisticated kind who graced the pages of The Great Gatsby. Nor did he seem like the violent man I’d encountered on my first day in the wild. He had saved me, at least. I could only hope that it wasn’t for some nefarious purpose.”

High Points.
The idea…. I know people will be like ‘B-b-but it’s exactly the same as The Handmaid’s Tale’… but I’ve never read it sooo… I think Ms Carey did a great job at setting up this idea and it was incredibly creepy. Arden. Caleb post-Eve. Ruby & Pip. Lief post-Eve.

Low Points.
Eve.
This book would have been awesome if Eve had just called in sick.
The representation of men. If you have a penis in this book you have to either be a leery sexual predator or a boy who goes all gooey when there is a girl in your vicinity. MAKE YOUR CHOICE, BOYS.
Insta-love. Can you buy this in a can? I think it is only acceptable (ish) for authors to make their characters fall in love so quickly in stand-alone novels. If you know that your book is going to be a series… let it simmer for a bit. You’ll make your readers go mental.
When they get together in like the fourth chapter, the mystery is gone and, unfortunately, so is my interest.
I really hope this is one of those series that gets better, because this book does have potential but these creases need to be ironed out.

Heroine.
I have a lot in common with Mary Sue Eve: she’s beautiful, she’s intelligent, she’s irresistible to boys and she’s innocent and thinks that when a boy refers to his *whispers* balls he means the balls on his foot. (I still don’t get that joke. Sigh.)
She’s also a complete and utter Annoying Female Protagonist. (AFP)
I don’t want to be too cruel because it’s not entirely her fault. She’s had it pretty rough. She’s had to grow up without a mother in an all-girls school and a PLAGUE has killed everyone else, so her naivety and nervousness when it comes to the male species is understandable.
Because all girls who go to an all-girls school get jumpy and skittish when people of the male disposition are nearby. I mean, when I went to sixth form and a boy sat down next to me I stabbed him in the thigh with my fountain pen because his foot touched mine.
She’s never even seen a boy, so you can imagine what she’s like when Caleb and his glistening muscles and his whip (not joking) rides into her life (literally, on a stallion) after saving her from a bear (Yeah.. that happens).
It doesn’t help that she also had to attend "Dangers of Boys and Men" seminars (Um, yeah… that happens too.)
So I can let her off in that respect, albeit a little reluctantly. Because she has an excuse.
What she doesn’t have an excuse for is sashaying around Neverland the underground hovel in her skimpy clothes and wondering why the boys (who have never seen a girl either) are ogling at her goodies and then getting her kecks in a twist about it. Woman, just put a fleece on or something.
And neither does she have an excuse for going on about how amazing her best friends are/were. Um, well… if they’re so fun and amazing and always there for you even if you are annoying, then why did you leave them to get Atwood-ed?! Eh?
Also, you’re a reet Moaning Minnie.
But other than that…..

Best Friend.
I feel really sorry for Eve’s friends. They seem really sweet, funny and very patient with Eve’s AFP ways. One of them also sings my second favourite Beatles song in the shower. So that’s also fine.
But yeah… I’m hoping Pip and Ruby get more air time in the other books because they were great and grossly under-used. I also am hankering for a show-down between them where they just beat Eve with a stick for leaving them high and dry and getting distracted by abs instead of helping them.
Also, major love for Arden. She is rebellious and prickly and has a personality and cut her hair short because she doesn’t care what people think of her.
I also thought that she was going to be the obstacle between Eve and Caleb’s undying love because she perved at him when she first saw him. And I got all excited because it’s far more likely for two girls to fight over a boy than two boys over a girl. And I thought “Wow, that’s different and exciting and unique”.
But before I could say “CATFIGHT!!” it was made clear that Caleb only has eyes for Eve. So that was the end of that.

Love Interest.
It’s difficult to not to swoon over a boy like Caleb. He’s ripped as anything, he walks around topless, he has edgy and unique hair, he’s sweet, he doesn’t gawk at Eve’s boobs and he’s a bit feral. Perfect guy, right?
Well.
You know when someone tells you not to think of something and all you can do is think of that thing?
This is how I pictured Caleb.

Now, don’t get me wrong. I love Rufio as much as the next girl and what happens to him always shocks me because I have selective memory with things like that and I pretend it doesn’t happen.
But bringer of the swoon he is not.
Caleb has potential to develop into a BotS in future books… if he drops the ball and chain…. Off a cliff.
Also, unlike Eve, whose too polite and in love with you and describes your smell as ‘earthy’ and ‘smokey’ and ‘charcoaly’, I am not polite and in love with you so I substituted these pleasant adjective with my own phrase - "gross boy smell".
Which is more likely because you’ve been living underground with other smelly boys for years.
Also, it made these descriptions HILARIOUS.

“His gaze traced the lines of my mouth, his eyes finally settling on mine. His breath filled my ears and I smelled the charcoal gross boy smell again as I leaned closer.”

See?

Baddie.
Hmm… I’m reluctant to put Lief in this category because I’m guessing he’s going to swagger into the above category as the series continues. But yeah, he’s a massive douchebag and he can’t control his animal urges but he also has issues and a sensitive side.
And he’s totally smokin’.
Also we have the King. But we didn’t find much about him, except that he must have Eve.
And then we have THE PLAGUE. But unless I missed the part that explains anything about what this PLAGUE is or why it killed 98% of the world’s population… we’re going to have to wait for book two to find out about this.
I’m still holding out for the 98% of the world’s population to suddenly re-animate and eat everyone. And when I say everyone… I mostly mean Eve, because I was fond of all the other characters.

Theme Tune.

Dear Eve,
This song is for you,
Best Wishes,
Everybody in New America.

Also, this song is for Caleb to serenade Eve with when she realises she actually does fancy the hottie with the frisky hands in future books.
This song is the only instant where love triangles are fun. And I think Caleb would suit one of those chunky knits.
But I have a feeling that those aren’t diamonds in his pocket…

Angst Level.
5/10. The reason why Eve escaped from school is really grim and terrifying to think of. But apart from that and the occasional Handy McGrabby boy, this book is pretty tame in the angst section.
There are many pages where we get Eve whinging about the repercussions of the situations she got herself into. And, of course, boy angst.
Because she’s stoopid.

Recommended for.
People who have hope that some series get better as they go on. People who love dystopian fiction in all its oppressive ways. People who ever thought “You know what? I wish this story had more boys who don’t know the meaning of ‘look don’t touch’” about Peter Pan. People who don’t read the word ‘plague’ and automatically get excited over the prospect of potential zombies. People who think Rufio has some kind of, allure. People who are going to have to watch Hook so they can make an informed decision.

I received a copy of this book from the publishers, it will be available to buy later this year.

You can read this review and a load more exciting stuff of my blog here.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eve.

07/20/2011
19.0% ""I didn't know which was worse: to be killed by some brute animal or be taken off with a wild Neanderthal on horseback." With my vast experience in both of these situations, Eve, I'd say the former. Definitely."
07/20/2011
52.0% "I spy with my little eye something beginning with 'L'... and it also rhymes with glove priangle. Sigh." 9 comments
07/20/2011
66.0% "This is kind of like a dystopian Peter Pan. Except with more groping boys and betrayal. BETRAAAAYAL."

message 1: by Miriam (new)

Miriam Brutal death, or a close encounter with BO? Hmm, decisions, decisions...

message 2: by Jo (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jo And he can ride a horse and slaughter wild animals.
He's also, I gather from the thousand times it has been mentioned, very muscular and toned and glistening.

Some girls have all the fun.

message 3: by Miriam (new)

Miriam Oh, she didn't choose to be eaten by wild animals? I guessed wrong.

message 4: by Jo (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jo There's still time... she could have another bear running after her and realise that, actually, glistening muscles aren't worth it after all.

message 5: by Miriam (new)

Miriam They're not? Uh, I mean, of course not.

message 6: by Catie (new)

Catie AFP is going to catch on like wild fire any day now! ;)

message 7: by Jo (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jo Haha, it will if I have anything to do with it!

I always get 'P.Y.T' in my head whenever I read/write it haha.
And here it goes again...

message 8: by Tracey (new)

Tracey AFP I love it.

message 9: by Leah (new)

Leah Your review made me laugh.......and not want to read this book! Thanks for the awesome review.

message 10: by Jo (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jo Haha, thanks Leah!
Yeah... this book was.. um, interesting to say the least!

Reynje Insta-love. Can you buy this in a can?

I just want you to know that I have tears from laughing. Tears! This review is fantastic.

message 12: by Jo (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jo Cheers, Rey :)
I always feel a bit guilty when I re-read this review because I hate writing negative reviews and I'm always worried that I'm unnecessarily being bitchy. But.... well.
I don't feel that guilty. ;)

Reynje I know the feeling :) But if it makes you feel better, I think your reasons are pretty clearly (and hilariously) expressed. I have no issues with negative reviews, but I prefer it when they explain "why".. which is what you've done.

message 14: by Kara (new) - rated it 1 star

Kara I love this review! Seriously, Eve was the worst part about the book. Sadly.

message 15: by Gailda (new)

Gailda This review is quite possibly (only 'possibly' because i haven't read the book.. which is a good idea considering some of the things i've read here)better than the actual book. I laughed so hard at your mental image of Caleb as well as several other bits such as "Woman, put on a fleece or something!" :P Great review!

Josie Woman, just put a fleece on or something.

I just lol'd. Great review!

message 17: by Jo (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jo Thanks Josie :)

message 18: by Jade (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jade Eby Bahaha. I LOVED this review! I just finished reading Eve yesterday and I have to say, your review is actually better than book itself. Thanks for the laughs and being honest!

message 19: by Gabrielle (new)

Gabrielle Davis This was honestly one of the best reviews I've ever read for any book. I seriously was laughing through the whole thing.

Lauren It was very similar to handmaid's tale but still very good.

message 22: by Carter (new)

Carter I am 24 and I still have a crush on Rufio. The little girl inside of me still swoons at the site of him :P . Haven't read the book though, and am kinda doubting I will after checking out a few of these reviews

message 23: by Mac (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mac Ford Hilarious review :) Really enjoyed it!

message 24: by Sarina (new) - added it

Sarina your review makes me wanna read the book! It was hilarious to read about it, maybe it will be more so to read it?

message 25: by Samia (new)

Samia Ruponti haha!!! amazing review!! I think I need to buddy read it so we can crack up!! :P

Maddy my thoughts exactly :)

message 27: by Piseog (new)

Piseog Thanks for saving me from starting a crappy book. I had my reservations because of the self-published looking cover.

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

It was a total headache for me

message 29: by Country (new)

Country Goose HA! If I was drinking something, I'm pretty sure I would have snorted it and spewed it through my nose. "Gross boy smell" all over "Rufio" pretty much made me decide to get ride of it.

Stupid captivating synopsis and cover while having a phone that decided to stop working... Wasted money.... *grumble*