Sandy's Reviews > A Place of Execution

A Place of Execution by Val McDermid

Jul 20, 2011

I really enjoyed this book. A Journalist's account of a murder investigation, it was pretty much a police procedural that turned into something else 2/3 of the way through. I was so caught up in the story I lost track of the fact that I was reading a novel. It's set in the Peak District of Northern England, and the terrain becomes part of the story after a 13 year old girl goes missing. I had seen images of the Peak (it's a national park) and it added to my enjoyment as they searched and searched for her.

The author, who was a journalist herself, is an excellent writer. The plot barrels along on a straight trajectory, with a very appealing Policeman in charge of the investigation. I was also fascinated by details of the prosecution, and subsequent trial. Then, fast forward 35 years and there's more to discover, and it's anything but straightforward as the tragedy threatens innocent lives and comes back to haunt the original searchers.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Place of Execution.