Megan ~The Never Ending Book Basket's Reviews > Lover Awakened

Lover Awakened by J.R. Ward

Okay, so where is the ten star button for this book?!?! Because Z and Bella, and the rest of the Black Dagger Brotherhood gang deserve it after what I got with them in this book. Gahhhh, I don't think I have enough words to accurately articulate how much I LOVED this book. It made me laugh, it made me blush something fierce, it made me cry, and most of all it made me feel and fall so hopelessly in love with everything I got with these amazing characters. This book was epic. Downright, so damn good it'll make you have the biggest smile on your face, epic. What I got with Z, Bella, and all of the rest of the characters in this book seared my heart to them for life. FOR LIFE.

From all the people who told me about this series, I knew that this book was going to be something else entirely. They told me it would be the one that would make me a fan of this series for life, and they said it would be everything....and you know what? They were beyond right. So beyond right. This book showed me through every single page why I have loved every story I have gotten so far in this series, while simultaneously showing me how much more I needed with all of these characters. This book invested my heart in every single moment these characters shared, and it showed me again and again how much I LOVE these characters, how much I feel for them, and how invested I am with it all with them.

I have to say that I knew going into this book that it would probably be a doozy. I mean it's Z's book, so I knew it'd be heavy and that it wouldn't be easy. And let me tell you, his book was anything but easy. It was hard. It was dark. It was gritty and raw. It was intense as all get out. It was emotional through every page, and it hurt my heart on so many occasions with what I got with Z, Bella, and the rest of the gang of the Brotherhood. This book had me feeling as if I was practically bleeding for these characters and all that they go through, and there were so many times when reading where I felt like I needed to just take a deep breath because it was all so emotional and intense. Like I said, this book wasn't easy.

But you know what? I LOVED it. I absolutely loved every single word of it, and if I could give it all the stars in the world I would because that's how exceptional it was. That's how real and intense it was. That's how incredible and enjoyable it was. That's how much of everything it was.

Now I don't want you to think this book is all fight, emotions, and not so easy stuff, because it has so many other unforgettable aspects to it too. There was the relationship that develops between Bella and Z, and let me tell you right now, what you get with those two will have your heart beating like crazy, while simultaneously melting from the literal heat of it. Bella and Z sure have some spark to them, and experiencing what it was like for them to fight it, embrace it, relish in it, experience it, and fall so truly into it was EVERYTHING. Their story made this book the exceptional thing that it is. Their love story is rough around the edges to put it lightly. It's full of emotional twists and turns, pasts that affect presents, raw and intense demons that just won't seem to go away, and soooooooo many feels. All of that combines to make a story that will make you, break you to pieces in more ways than one, but in the end will show you what it truly means to come alive again.

I could not put this book down from the second I started it. J.R. Ward once again created a real and authentic world that I could not get enough of, and the more I got with these characters, the more I knew that there were some huge things to come for them all. Like the previous two books in this series, J.R. Ward gives you the phenomenal chance to get back with all of the rest of the unforgettable characters that make up this world. I can't say enough how much I loved that. I also can't say enough how much this book made me NEED their stories in my life something fierce. J.R. Ward does such an exceptional job of weaving the storylines and characters of this world together in a way that hooks you into it all with them. She puts you right in the thick of it with them all. She updates you on their lives, she gives you more with them, and the way that events with those characters affect what happens in the story will have you needing to know more. Trust me, I've been there.

I think what I loved the most about this book, besides getting Z and Bella's emotionally intense story, was getting all of the background I got with these characters. Lover Awakened let me dive right into the past with Z, Phury, and so many of the other brothers that make up the Brotherhood. That past, the understanding and emotions that came with it, and the moments I got with these characters showed me so much about them. It allowed me the most honest and in depth understanding of their characters and their relationships, and it completely allowed me to see why things had gone the way they had for them.

This book brought so many mind blowing and heart wrenching moments to life in front of my eyes, and it was those moments that made this one of the best books I have read in a good long while. What I got with Z and Phury especially, along with the other characters gave me it all. It showed me their truths, it showed me their hearts, and most of all it showed me their literal amazingness again and again. That coupled with what else happened in this book made it an all-consuming read that I couldn't stop experiencing or feeling or breathing through every turn of that page.

Lover Awakened was a book about so many things. It was a book about the past, and how the darkness and emotions of that past can thrust itself right into your present. It was a book about how you can meet the one person who changes everything, at the exact time when you need to, even if you think it's not meant to be. It's a book about fighting. Fighting for your future, fighting for what you want, and fighting so desperately for what you can't live without. It's a book about what could be, and the possibilities that come when you take that first deep breath that you've been holding in for so long. It's a book about love, family, loyalty, changes, emotions, feels, and the ties that bind. It's a story of brotherhood, and what that brotherhood will do for you when you really need it. It's a story of the greatest risks of all that can reap the biggest rewards, if you only allow yourself to happen.

It's a story of starting life anew, and seeing the possibilities of what could be, even if they scare you shitless.

This book was incredible in every way. It gave me an unforgettable story that made me feel every emotion under the sun, and it gave me a love story that touched my heart and soul in every way possible. This story was so utterly consuming, and I'm pretty sure I could use every positive adjective under the sun to describe it, and I still wouldn't come close to capturing how phenomenal it is.

If you have loved this series, you will love this book. And if you are a reader in general you will love it because I think its just downright impossible to not love this book, or Z and Bella. This book, this book is just EVERYTHING! And I am telling you, you NEED it in your life!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lover Awakened.

Quotes Megan Liked

J.R. Ward
“I was dead until you found me, though I breathed. I was sightless, though I could see. And then you came...and I was awakened.”

J.R. Ward
“Z: "You know, this was a hell of a lot easier when you were out cold in the back of that truck."

Phury: "That was you?"

Z:"You think it was Santa Claus or some shit?”

J.R. Ward
“He knew he was being overbearing as hell, but he couldn't help it. He was a bonded male. With his pregnant female. There were few things on the planet more aggressive or dangerous. And those bastards were called hurricanes and tornadoes.”

J.R. Ward
“I… What are you saying, Zsadist?" she stammered, even though she'd heard every word.

He glanced back down at the pencil in his hand and then turned to the table. Flipping the spiral notebook to a new page, he bent way over and labored on top of the paper for quite a while. Then he ripped the sheet free.

His hand was shaking as he held it out. "It's messy."

Bella took the paper. In a child's uneven block letters there were three words: I LOVE YOU

Her lips flattened tight as her eyes stung. The handwriting got wavy and then disappeared.

"Maybe you can't read it," he said in a small voice. "I can do it over."

She shook her head. "I can read it just fine. It's… beautiful."

"I don't expect anything back. I mean… I know that you don't… feel that for me anymore. But I wanted you to know. It's important that you knew.”

J.R. Ward
“Bella: "Then why are you wearing that bandage like a sash?"

Phury: "It makes my ass look smaller.”

J.R. Ward
“Besides, you think I'm not used to hurting? For me, it's home sweet home, my brother.”

J.R. Ward
“The necklace was a good excuse," he murmured.

"For what?"

"I thought maybe I could go to Charleston and show up at your front door to give this back and maybe… you might let me in. Or something. I was worried that another male would court you, so I've been trying to go as fast as I could. I mean, I figured maybe if I could read, and if I took a little better care of myself, and if I tried to stop being such a mean-ass motherfucker…" He shook his head. "But don't misunderstand. It's not like I expected you to be happy to see me. I was just… you know, hoping… coffee. Tea. Chance to talk. Or some shit. Friends, maybe. Except if you had a male, he wouldn't allow that. So, yeah, that's why I've been hurrying."

His yellow eyes lifted to hers. He was wincing, as if he were afraid of what might be showing on her face.

"Friends?" she said.

"Yeah… I mean, I wouldn't disgrace you by asking for more than that. I know that you regret… Anyway, I just couldn't let you go without… Yeah, so… friends.”

J.R. Ward
“Tohrment spoke. "Bella's brother called. He's tabled the sehelusion request and asked that she stay here for a couple of days."

Z jacked his head up. "Why?"

"He didn't give a reason-" Tohr's eye's narrowed on Z's face. "Oh... my God."

"What the fuck are you looking at?"

Phury pointed to the antique mirror hanging on the wall next to the double doors. "See for yourself."

Zsadist marched across the room, ready to give them all hell. Bella was what mattered-

His mouth went lax at his reflection. With a shaky hand he reached out to the eyes in the old-fashioned leaded glass. His irises were no longer black. They were yellow. Just like his twin's.

"Phury?" he said softly. "Phury... what happened to me?"

As the male came up behind him, his brother's face appeared right beside Z's. And then Wrath's dark reflection showed up in the mirror, all long hair and sunglasses. Then Rhage's star-fallen beauty. And Vishous's Sox cap. And Tohrment's brush cut. And Butch's busted nose.

One by one they reached out and touched him, their big hands gently on his shoulders.

"Welcome back, my brother," Phury whispered.

Zsadist stared at the males who were behind him. And the oddest thought that if he were to let himself go limp and fall backward... they would catch him.”

J.R. Ward
“She is more beautiful than I have words for. And last night, I was blessed beyond measure to serve her.”

J.R. Ward
“Your hands on a gun butt right now, isn't it? Afraid of me?”
“Just want to make sure I can take care of you.”
“Oh, really?”
“Yeah, in case you need Glock-to-mouth-resuscitation.”

J.R. Ward
“Sometimes your whole life could hinge on a fraction of an inch. Or the beat of a nanosecond. Or the knock on a door.”

J.R. Ward
“You are in a prison with no bars. I worry about you.”

“I love you."
Z squeezed his eyes shut. "Don't be a tragedy, Bella.”

J.R. Ward
“Phury glanced at John and thought that sometimes it took only a hairbreadth between cars to avoid a mortal accident. Sometimes your whole life could hinge on a fraction of an inch. Or the beat of a nanosecond. Or the knock on a door. Kind of made a male believe in the divine.”

J.R. Ward
“The trainee knew he should leave, but he was unable to look away. He'd never seen anything snap out so fast or strike so hard as the male's fists. Obviously, the rumours about the instructor were all true. He was a flat-out killer.

With a metal clank, a door opened at the other end of the gym, and the sound of a newborn's cries echoed up into the high ceiling. The warrior stopped in midpunch and wheeled around as a lovely female carrying young in a pink blanket came over to him. His face softened, positively melted.”

J.R. Ward
“I'm not broken, I'm ruined. Do you understand the difference? With broken maybe you can fix things. Ruined? All you can do is wait to bury me.”

J.R. Ward
“Phury lit a blunt and eyed the sixteen cans of Aqua Net that were lined up on Butch and V's coffee table.
"What's doing with the hair spray? You boys going drag on us?"
Butch held up the lenght of PVC pipe he was punching a hole in.
"Potato launcher, my man. Big fun."
"Excuse me ?"
"Didn't you ever go to summer camp ?"
"Basket weaving and woodcarving are for humans. No offense, but we have better things to teach our youngs.”

J.R. Ward
“How sweetly he came to her, she thought. Even with his bulk and power, he came to her...sweetly.”

J.R. Ward
“Phury knelt beside him and stroked his face. "I've only ever had you to live for. If you die I have nothing.
I'm utterly lost. And you are needed here."
Zsadist tried to reach out, but couldn't lift his arms as Phury stood up.
"God, Z, I keep thinking this tragedy of ours is going to be over. But it just keeps going, doesn't it?"
Zsadist blacked out to the sound of his twin's boots heading from the room.”

J.R. Ward
“Leaning down onto his arms, he prowled up the bed to her body, his eyes fixated on her secret skin as if he'd never seen anything like it. When he got in range, wide hands smoothed their way up the insides of her thighs, opening them even farther.
But then he frowned and looked up at her. "Wait, I'm supposed to kiss you on the mouth first, aren't I? I mean, males start at the top and work their way down, don't they?"
What and odd question... like he'd never done this at all?
Before she could reply he began to move back, so she sat up and captured his face in her hands.
"You can do whatever you like to me."
His eyes flashed and he held his position for a split second.
Then he lunged at her, taking her down onto the bed. His tongue shot into her mouth and his hands tangled in her hair, pulling on her, arching her, trapping her head. The hunger in him was ferocious, a warrior's thick-blooded need for sex. He was going to take her with all the strength he had, and she was going to be sore when he was through using her. Sore and utterly blissed out. She couldn't wait.”

J.R. Ward
“Uh-huh, right. Let me count all the ways you and I aren't going there.”

J.R. Ward
“Wellsie frowned. "I'd like you to stay away from him, okay? He's...not right in a lot of ways. Do you know what I mean?"
Actually, John wasn't so sure about that. Yeah, the guy was enough to make you think fondly of the boogeyman sometimes, but clearly he wasn't all bad.”

January 2, 2017 – Started Reading