Kaitlin's Reviews > Any Other Name

Any Other Name by Emma Newman

19126246

TW: Rape & Abuse

This is even better than the first book in the series. I loved getting to know Cathy and the other characters. I really felt that she was developed and improved as the story went, and she stood up for herself in some really horrible situations. Cathy has fast become a favourite character for me and she's definitely someone I admire and sympathise with.

I also really enjoyed the questions of hierarchy in society. This book has two characters challenge one another directly over rape, social expectations, and blackmail. The Victorian setting combined with the modern England setting gives some of these characters more confidence to speak up and help each other when others won't. There are certainly rumblings of lady power and sticking together within this story, and I loved that!

The Fae magic continues to intrigue me. I am always in awe of just how ruthless the Fae Lords can be!

I also like the character of Sam (a human) and Max (an arbiter) as they help flesh out all three of the Split World's and I feel like there's always more going on than meets the eye initially.

Obviously I thoroughly enjoyed this story and think it's an improvement on book #1. I'd certainly recommend this series wholeheartedly and I'm going straight onto book #3 to see what happens next! 4.5*s

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Any Other Name.

January 4, 2017 – Started Reading