Rachel Louise Atkin's Reviews > Imperial Bedrooms

Imperial Bedrooms by Bret Easton Ellis

bookshelves: owned

I finished the majority of this in about 4 hours because what the actual hell did I just read. I don’t know why I ever expect to come out of a Bret Ellis book feeling fine because that never happens, this book was fucked. But not in a good way, more in an annoyed way.

This is by far Ellis's worst book. No sense of time, no sense of space - when you compare with the overwhelming gloom of the city in it's predecessor Less Than Zero, and the toxic consumerism of the 80s in American Psycho, there is just nothing here. The first third of this book was a shit version of Less Than Zero, the second third a shit version of Glamorama, and the last part a shit version of American Psycho. Admittedly, the ghosts of these novels that I still felt inside this book made me like it at some points, but that's just it - I didn't like Imperial Bedrooms, I liked the meagre deja vu of his previous novels.

Ellis tries to imitate his old tricks of metafiction and conspiracies and violence, but it felt forced. I mean I was still fucked up at the end of this book after not moving from my bed for hours to finish it, but at this point I'm just like, stop? Because it's not moving me anymore.

This was the last Bret book I had to read and now I am very sad. I read his entire bibliography this year and it feels like such an anti-climax to end with this book so I'm probably going to go back and read Less Than Zero again.

Oh and I bet you are wondering why I gave this book four stars. That is because I am a dickhead and anything with Bret Easton Ellis's name on automatically gets four stars. Sorry lol.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Imperial Bedrooms.

January 4, 2017 – Shelved
January 4, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
August 10, 2017 – Shelved as: owned
December 13, 2017 – Started Reading
December 14, 2017 –
page 78
43.82% "Shits starting to get fucked up and I’m so ready"
December 14, 2017 –
page 114
64.04% "What. Is. Happening."
December 15, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Michael Best BEE book