David Lurie's Reviews > Son of a Liche

Son of a Liche by J. Zachary Pike

bookshelves: owned-audio-epub, to-generate-recs

As the audiobook has been released prematurely, I’m putting up my review of the ARC to encourage others to buy the book!

An excellent improvement on the already great first book, Son of a Liche goes much further into developing both the characters and the stories. SoaL is almost twice as long as Orconomics, it’s predecessor, which can only be a good thing: the deeper characterisation in particular shows how far Pike has come along as an author since publishing the first book.

As an example of its genre, the series has already come close to giving me the same level of enjoyment as Drew Hayes’ NPCs series and is probably now my second favourite series in the genre. One thing Hayes doesn’t often do well is bringing stories to a close, so I have high hopes that the last book of the Dark Profit Saga may escalate this to my absolute favourite.

The jokes are funny, the puns are terrible (in a good way) and the plot is punctuated by moments of genius where the side characters - especially Poldo - really shine. Son of a Liche gets a strong recommendation from me.

Note: I received an ARC of the book in exchange for an honest review, but have purchased the audiobook too to support the author and as that’s how I originally came across the first book.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Son of a Liche.

January 4, 2017 – Shelved
March 26, 2018 – Started Reading
March 29, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

David Lurie I got thanked in the acknowledgements for my feedback! That was such a lovely lovely surprise!