Monique's Reviews > The Lover's Dictionary

The Lover's Dictionary by David Levithan

bookshelves: 2011, five-stars, fiction, romance
Recommended to Monique by: Tina
Recommended for: Tintin, Lynai

I've been trying to construct a review in my head for this book all weekend, having finished reading it on Saturday morning, but no matter what I came up with, I feel that it will not fully represent the feelings I had while reading this book. To say that I loved The Lover's Dictionary would be an understatement.

In a nutshell, The Lover's Dictionary is the simple love story of a couple, left unnamed by the author, told in dictionary form. Through carefully-chosen words, their love story unfurled: how they first met, how their shaky relationship evolved into something more solid, from their first date up to the time they finally made the big “C”, the obligatory ups and downs of their relationship. And even though their story is nothing exceptional, a love story not all that different from the next boy-girl relationship there ever is, the unique manner in which their story was told gave it such an unconventional flavor and offbeat feel, and it was for this reason that I loved it to bits.

When I first heard about this book from Tina, my curiosity was piqued right away because she mentioned that it was all about wordplay. I have a thing about words being given a different definition or connotation other than their original meaning; I consider the people who come up with these things to be the smartest and wittiest ones, and I admire them immensely. So when I realized that this book is a novel that was all about wordplay, I was hooked. Plus, when I started devouring the first few pages of the book, I knew I wasn't looking for a love story to read, not really. But when I finally closed the book with a satisfied sigh, I again realized that I haven't read a romance in a long, long time, and The Lover's Dictionary is just about perfect for the purpose.

Another thing that I loved about the novel was the fact that I was able to relate to most of the entries than I would care to admit. (Ah, no, I will not go into personal details, sorry. :P ) There were parts that made me reminisce years past, there were entries that could very well be verbatim entries lifted from my very own journal, and there were moments when I could just feel the love – and the pain, too – shared by our anonymous lovers, seeing myself in their place, and it made me fall in love all over again.

To conclude, let me share with you two of my favorite entries from the book. These made me feel shivery and fluttery inside and, well, in love:

indelible, adj.

And:

love, n.

I'm not going to even try.

So. Excuse me while I release another round of contented, romantic sighs. :)

Review also posted here.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lover's Dictionary.

July 19, 2011 – Shelved
August 4, 2011 – Started Reading
August 5, 2011 –
page 67
31.75% "*sigh*. Just... *sigh*."
August 5, 2011 – Finished Reading
August 6, 2011 –
page 123
58.29% "Falling in love all over again."
August 7, 2011 – Shelved as: 2011
August 7, 2011 – Shelved as: five-stars
August 7, 2011 – Shelved as: fiction
August 7, 2011 – Shelved as: romance

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)

message 1: by Monique (last edited Aug 07, 2011 09:08PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Monique EMIR: "Coochy-coochy". LOL. :)

Thanks po for all the likes!

message 2: by Apokripos (new) - added it

Apokripos Monique wrote: "EMIR: "Coochy-coochy". LOL. :)

Thanks po for all the likes!"

And I thought the big C stands for copulation.
Ahahaha! :D

message 3: by Apokripos (new) - added it

Apokripos Emir wrote: "Madumi ang isip mo, Jzhun. CHex yan, yung parang sa Harry Potter."

Ahahaha! :D

Emir, kuha mo!

Monique You guys make me want to edit my review. Haha! :P

Louize Leave it to the guys to do all the jumping and cartwheeling of words. LOL

Monique Louize wrote: "Leave it to the guys to do all the jumping and cartwheeling of words. LOL"

I know. They should write a book exactly like this, using their own, um, guy words. Haha. :)

Kwesi 章英狮 This review is not an excuse for me to read this book as soon as possible, where did you get your copy? Hikhik.

Monique Kwesi 章英狮 wrote: "This review is not an excuse for me to read this book as soon as possible, where did you get your copy? Hikhik."

Borrowed it from Tina. If she says yes, I can give it to you next. :)

Kwesi 章英狮 Niyay, I'll ask her later. Thanks!

message 10: by Tina (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tina Kwesi 章英狮 wrote: "Niyay, I'll ask her later. Thanks!"

Monique Tina wrote: Haha you can borrow it after. :) Sharing the love, haha. (Kasi mahal sya sa Fully Booked, P799 *gasp*)"

I think I'll buy one for myself, anyway. :D

message 12: by Apokripos (last edited Aug 08, 2011 01:31AM) (new) - added it

Apokripos Louize wrote: "Leave it to the guys to do all the jumping and cartwheeling of words. LOL"

Now that's one play on words! Ahahaha! :D

message 13: by Louize (last edited Aug 08, 2011 04:59AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Louize jzhunagev wrote: "Then I think the one you're proposing should be titled The Lover's DiC (Empahsis on the letter C).
Now that's one play on words! Ahahaha! :D "

LOL!
Sabi na nga ba sobrang likot ng isip mo!!!

Joselito Honestly and Brilliantly I find it vewry difficult to relate with something so unrealistic and obviously fake like this--

"That first night, you took your finger and pointed to the top of my head, then traced a line between my eyes, down my nose, over my lips, my chin, my neck, to the center of my chest. It was so surprising, I knew I would never mimic it. That one gesture would be yours forever."

If the guy had the drawing finger, it would never have stopped at the chest. It would have gone further down. The only time something like this (finger stopping at the chest) happens is in the movies, so it would get a gp or pg rating (and rake in more money). Now if the girl had the drawing finger, no guy would ever remember this very corny move, much less say to the girl that it was a gesture that would be hers forever.

Monique JOSELITO: I think the finger didn't stop at the chest, but describing in full detail what supposedly transpired further just leaves nothing to the imagination. Surely you can understand that? Haha.

message 16: by K.D. (new) - rated it 1 star

K.D. Absolutely Huh? Better than "The Passage to India"? harhar

message 17: by Monique (last edited Feb 05, 2012 05:30PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Monique K.D.~ Yes po. A Passage To India was my worst read for 2011 (same as Angus), and I read The Lover's Dictionary last year, too. So, every other book that I've read last year (including this one) is way better than A Passage To India. :D

Like you said in a thread: let's agree to disagree! :))