Karen's Reviews > All the Stars Look Down

All the Stars Look Down by Elizabeth   Hunter

bookshelves: favorites, mythology, short-stories-collection, vampires

I really liked this duo and found myself lost in both of the stories, one with characters new to me and another with friends that I have missed. Because there are two stories I averaged the stars out to 4.25 for the book. I have never real Grace Draven before but definitely liked the tale that she has included in this book with characters who felt enough like people I found myself liking and would like to see more of in the future. Then there is Elizabeth Hunter who I have been reading and enjoying for a while with my favorite couple making a surprise appearance that made my holiday season.

'Sunday's Child', 4 stars.
The story is based on Norse mythology and has an elf named Andor Hjalmarson who has been exiled for 1000 years for seducing one of the King's favorite concubines. He is sent away to serve his exile as a helper to Saint Nicholas and in so doing finds someone that makes him feel far more than he ever expected.
Claire Summerlad is special even though she may not know it. When she is a child she gets to see something that all children wish for on Christmas Eve plus someone she never expected to see but which fades as she gets older. When Claire grows up she no longer sees the magic but does find a bit of magic that was lost to her.
This is a sweet story of love and sacrifice and redemption. Enjoyable for all!

'Lost Letters and Christmas Lights', 4.5 stars.
Giovanni and Beatrice travel to Rome when a new mystery comes along and interrupts their Christmas. Bea is on the hunt for a journal written by a priest in the California missions to another priest in the Vatican. The journals hold the secret to growing grapes. But there is something even more about the letters than what meets the eye.
Fina Rossi was in charge of the library when Lorenzo first established it and Giovanni decided to keep her on after Lorenzo was no more. Fina and her son live there alone but she has been corresponding with a friend of Gio's and wonders what he is really like. Zeno Ferrara works at the Vatican deep in the archives and has never considered leaving. Then he meets Fina and Gio's offer of employment seems a little more tempting.
There is a little sweet and little heat in this matchmaking story that just happens to involve vampires. A great addition to the Elemental Mysteries series.

I think this is a nice holiday themed book that will bring a smile to the face.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read All the Stars Look Down.

January 3, 2017 – Shelved