Sarah's Reviews > Shadow Run

Shadow Run by AdriAnne Strickland

liked it

Well. That was disappointing. And by "disappointing" I mean that someone told me it was like Firefly, and I got all excited, because like all true Firefly fans, the lack of a second season has left me desperate for anything remotely similar.

happy Kaylee

Then I read the book I discovered that the person was either exaggerating how good the book is or insulting Firefly. Or both. We're going to go with both. I am now very annoyed with this person.

grumpy Mal is grumpy me

I will admit, the concept had a lot of potential. Nebulous and strange and potentially lethal energy force known as Shadow? Cool. Shadow-fishing? Also cool. People who can control the Shadow and shoot purple fire from their fingertips? Very cool. Other people who want to use/experiment on the people who can control the Shadow? A touch cliche, but still reasonably interesting. Space-battles and space-tech and general spaceship antics? Definitely cool.

Shiny!

With all that, you'd think that I wouldn't be able to put the book down, but no . . . Once I set it down the first time, picking it back up was a struggle, because I spent so much time like this:

Sherlock and I are booooored

I'm pretty sure I saw every single plot twist coming a mile away. The Shadow can do more than just give Qole super piloting skills and fabulous reflexes? Yeah, I kind of guessed. Everyone is suddenly after Qole at the same time Nev is? No surprise there. Nev's family is primarily composed of manipulative jerks with far less honor and very different goals than he has? Naturally.

This, but said sarcastically

And, to top it all off, we've got Completely Unnecessary Romance between Qole and Nev. Now, I'm not averse to a good bit of romance. Done right, it can make a book better. But this was just . . . no. I'm fairly certain that it exists solely because the authors wanted another way to create drama and they thought that no YA novel is complete without a romantic subplot that shadows the main (more interesting) plotline. If we could've had a friendship developing between Qole and Nev, that would've been fine- fabulous, even. As it is . . .

We aren't. We really aren't.

Honestly, up until the very climax, I was ready to give this book a two-star rating and label it the Disappointment of the Year. That said, the climax was pretty impressive (particularly compared to the rest of the book). We've got hacking, we've got awesome piloty bits, we've got awesome fighty bits, we've got people being burned alive in purple flame . . . It's like everyone remembered "Oh, right, this is a sci-fi adventure novel, not a bag of romantic nonsense. Let's go be awesome!"

Very thrilling, Jayne.

So, yes. The climax gets its own star because the action, at least, was pretty impressive, and so was Basra's revelation and unique sort of attack. The rest of the book? Two stars. And now I'm going to see if I have time to rewatch Firefly.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shadow Run.

January 3, 2017 – Shelved
January 3, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
July 2, 2017 – Started Reading
July 3, 2017 –
page 149
38.21% "This would be a much better story if the author had left out the romance. :P"
July 3, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

message 1: by Deborah (new) - added it

Deborah O'Carroll So, I heard it was Firefly-ish toooo which is 100% why I want to read it and I'm still curious to try it buuuut I'm sorry it was such a disappointment to you! o.o However, all those Firefly gifs in your review made my week, so thumbs up on that. :D

Sarah Deborah wrote: "So, I heard it was Firefly-ish toooo which is 100% why I want to read it and I'm still curious to try it buuuut I'm sorry it was such a disappointment to you! o.o However, all those Firefly gifs in..."

Yeah, other people might like it better than I did? So do try it if you're still interested, just be warned that there's annoyingly overwhelming romance. If you go into it without high expectations, you'll probably enjoy it more. And I'm glad you enjoyed my gif use; I had fun putting that together. It's my first time doing a gif review, so yay!

message 3: by Deborah (new) - added it

Deborah O'Carroll Hopefully my now-lowered-standards will mean I'll enjoy it more. XD I don't mind romance usually... so that might be okay. And WOW, first-time gif review and it seemed like you're an expert already! :P

Sarah Deborah wrote: "Hopefully my now-lowered-standards will mean I'll enjoy it more. XD I don't mind romance usually... so that might be okay. And WOW, first-time gif review and it seemed like you're an expert already..."

I don't mind romance either, this just overshadowed the more interesting things. And thanks! I do read a lot of them, so that helps!