Bark 's Reviews > Furiously Happy: A Funny Book About Horrible Things

Furiously Happy by Jenny  Lawson

bookshelves: audiobook, memoir

See this and the rest of the crap I write at my blog Bark's Book Nonsense.

I liked this book. It made me laugh. Not all rolling on the floor and laughing my effing bum off but it made me laugh on the inside. I knew it. And that is all that counts.

This Jenny person has a skewed sense of humor that I love and adored. She is weird and she embraces it. She’s also mentally ill with a laundry list of disorders. She suffers from depression and crushing anxiety and a host of other disorders but she still manages to live a life that sounds fun and that is inspiring. She does get to navel gazing a wee bit here and there and not everything is laugh on the inside funny but it never, ever bored me. I can see why her blog is so very popular. She has a way of telling a story that drags you into her world. She talks about some serious issues but you never want to drown in a pit of despair. How she manages to do this is beyond me. I’m just thankful she has the talent to do so because I needed a little laugh after A Little Life.

I did not take notes and although there are many quote worthy tidbits in this book, you’ll have to go read the thing yourself because I was reading selfishly for joy and was too frigging lazy to be bothered to write any of them down. I think reading them for the first time is part of the fun anyway. So do yourself a little good and find yourself this audio. It’s read by the author whose voice is a little squeaky (she even admits this) but it’s her words and I don’t think it would feel right to listen to anyone else voice them

Audiobook #1: Audiobook Challenge

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Furiously Happy.

Quotes Bark Liked

Jenny  Lawson
“Don’t make the same mistakes that everyone else makes. Make wonderful mistakes. Make the kind of mistakes that make people so shocked that they have no other choice but to be a little impressed.”
Jenny Lawson, Furiously Happy: A Funny Book About Horrible Things

January 3, 2017 – Started Reading
January 3, 2017 – Shelved
January 3, 2017 – Shelved as: audiobook
January 3, 2017 – Shelved as: memoir
January 3, 2017 –
10.0% "I need something happy after finishing this one!"
January 3, 2017 –
10.0% "I need something happy after finishing A Little Life."
January 3, 2017 –
10.0% "I need something happy after finishing A Little Life. Please tell me it's happy."
January 3, 2017 –
10.0% "I need something happy after finishing A Little Life. So far, so good."
January 3, 2017 –
10.0% "I need something happy after finishing A Little Life. So far, so good. This woman is wacky and I'm loving it."
January 6, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin I'm so glad you liked it :-). I loved it because I have some of her same disorders and then some o_0

Kelly (and the Book Boar) Have you read her first book? If you ever need another pick-me-up I highly recommend it. It is 100% funny without the depression/social anxiety/etc. stuff.

Bark @ Melissa She's a funny lady and I am amazed she can leave the house with everything she has going on.

@Kelly I haven't read it but it's next up on my Overdrive! Yay, I need another laugh. This week has lingered

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin I know. I can't leave the house. I love her! :-)

message 5: by Badseedgirl (new)

Badseedgirl This has been sitting in my TBR list forever. I may have to move it up higher on the list.

Bark It was entertaining. Pull it out when you need a laugh.

message 7: by Ctgt (new)

Ctgt Nice review Bark. I listened to this last year and enjoyed it as well. There were times when the author's tone while reading seemed just a bit forced but ultimately, the way she opened up about her illness was quite powerful.

Bark Thanks Ctgt, it was such an interesting book.