Kate Ditzler's Reviews > Einstein Never Used Flashcards: How Our Children Really Learn-- And Why They Need to Play More and Memorize Less

Einstein Never Used Flashcards by Kathy Hirsh-Pasek

Jul 19, 2011

bookshelves: education, child-policy, feminism, motherhood, why-have-kids

One of the impossible ideals The Mommy Myth outlines is the responsibility of the mother to develop their children's intellect. This book provides the alternative culture that The Mommy Myth fails to build. Whereas "talking back" (Mommy Myth's conclusion and call to arms) means that we interrogate the culture of extreme interventionist parenting, this book offers a deconstruction of that culture and provides the understanding you need to resist that culture of extreme parenting both in conversation and in your daily life.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Einstein Never Used Flashcards.

July 19, 2011 – Started Reading
July 19, 2011 – Shelved
July 19, 2011 – Shelved as: education
July 19, 2011 –
page 12
4.41% "reflect, resist and recenter."
July 26, 2011 –
page 126
46.32% "I think I love this book. It takes a lot of pressure off."
July 31, 2011 –
page 137
50.37% ""...children create much of their own stimulation by observing and actively experimenting as they play and go through their daily lives. As a result, parents can relax and relieve themselves of the mantle of responsibility for cognitive development that they have assumed." Yay!"
August 1, 2011 –
page 181
August 1, 2011 –
page 197
August 5, 2011 –
page 224
82.35% "How much do I love this book? A lot."
August 7, 2011 –
page 272
100.0% "I love this book. Review to follow."
August 7, 2011 – Shelved as: child-policy
August 7, 2011 – Shelved as: feminism
August 7, 2011 – Shelved as: motherhood
August 7, 2011 – Shelved as: why-have-kids
August 7, 2011 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Bucket (new)

Bucket Would love to hear what you think of this book! I'm considering bringing in Kathy Hirsh-Pasek for an event at work next year.

Kate Ditzler Bucket, I loved this book. Review to follow, for sure.