Elizabeth Mathis's Reviews > 27 Hours

27 Hours by Tristina Wright

bookshelves: reviewed-diverse, reviewed-fantasy, reviewed-sci-fi

Rumor Mora fears two things: hellhounds too strong for him to kill, and failure. Jude Welton has two dreams: for humans to stop killing monsters, and for his strange abilities to vanish.

But in no reality should a boy raised to love monsters fall for a boy raised to kill them.

Nyx Llorca keeps two secrets: the moon speaks to her, and she’s in love with Dahlia, her best friend. Braeden Tennant wants two things: to get out from his mother's shadow, and to unlearn Epsilon's darkest secret.

They’ll both have to commit treason to find the truth.

During one twenty-seven-hour night, if they can’t stop the war between the colonies and the monsters from becoming a war of extinction, the things they wish for will never come true, and the things they fear will be all that’s left.

27 Hours is a sweeping, thrilling story featuring a stellar cast of queer teenagers battling to save their homes and possibly every human on Sahara as the clock ticks down to zero.

Rating: 4.25/5 Penguins
Quick Reasons: well-rounded, complex, diverse cast of characters; entertaining, fast-paced plot; LOVE the gargoyles; unique and fun concept; this was a race from start to finish; really loved how many POVs we were given

Huge thanks to Tristina Wright, Entangled: Teen, Chapter by Chapter Book Tours, and Netgalley for sending a free egalley of this title my way in exchange for an honest review! This in no way altered my read of or opinions on this book.

First off: this cover is absolutely stunning! I know, I haven't gushed properly over a cover in AGES but Penguins, JUST LOOK at this one! The colors, the layout, just...everything comes together in an absolutely gorgeous way! I just... ugh. This cover gets me, Penguins. This cover gets me so hard.

The characters are vibrantly written and SO believable. I was pulled into their minds from page one, and left breathless. The diversity of the characters and their endearing, fantastic personalities really helped to bring this story to life for me! I was rooting for each of them from the very start, though for very different reasons. I really give kudos to Tristina Wright for how easily she made writing characters seem in this read. I also really wish I could be friends with her characters, because I LOVE THEM SO HARD!

Nyx supposed that was the ultimate trade-off for exploring the cosmos. They'd gained the stars, but had lost the ground they came from.

The plot is fast-paced and super unique. Tristina Wright put a new spin on gargoyles, and I adored how seamlessly she wove these stories together. The action was intense and filled with breath-stealing, heart-pounding moments. I often caught myself clenching my fists, biting my lip, sitting on the edge of my seat in agitated anticipation! I just couldn't bear to see where things were headed, even while I was screaming for the book to tell me what happened next.

This was nonstop, action-packed awesome from start to finish, and I bow down to Tristina Wright for making it seem so easy to write such an epic read! The characters are colorful and so much fun to follow. I'd definitely recommend this to lovers of space-travel, gargoyles, and diverse characters. The clock is counting down, Penguins; which side will you fall on?
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 27 Hours.

January 3, 2017 – Shelved