Elise (TheBookishActress)'s Reviews > Dangerous Boys

Dangerous Boys by Abigail Haas

From the moment you're born, people start folding you into neat pieces and tucking you inside a box of their own design. No, it starts even before then, the moment the sonogram shows a faded blur. Blue for a boy, tractors and race-cars, big and strong and brave. Pink for a little princess, pretty and sweet. They dress you up in their own expectations, before you even have a chance to understand the constrictions of your fate. That box becomes so cozy and warm, you never really notice that you're bent double, fighting for room to breathe.

Abigail Haas is a genius. This is the author of maybe my all-time favorite teen contemporary book and now TWO of my favorite thrillers?? How does she transverse genres like this and still write such good books??

This is going to be a very hard book to review without spoiling anything. Strangely enough, though, being spoiled about who lives or dies wouldn't have ruined this experience. Half the intrigue of this book is trying to figure out how the end went down.

And that ending did not disappoint.

The book begins with a fairly simple concept: Chloe wants to escape her small town, but her mother develops severe depression, so she can't leave for college. She begins dating good guy Ethan as she tries to make the best of her situation. And then in comes bad boy Oliver. Please don't sigh and stop reading this now. Because Chloe finds that Oliver brings out her inner side. And that inner side isn't so much a good girl; her inner side might be even darker than Oliver expects.

Fair warning: this book is messed up. I honestly don't want to know what's going on inside Abigail Haas' head. This book speaks to the dark sides of human nature. The manipulative sides willing to do what it takes. And it's so fucking well done.

There are reviews of this book saying(view spoiler) I usually don't say this, but I think that complaint is totally missing the point. This book isn't about Ethan, and it isn't about Oliver. It definitely isn't about which one you prefer. This is about Chloe. Neither love interest is meant to be the right choice. (view spoiler) Abigail Haas is both using and sidestepping many popular romance tropes.

So now that we've established this book isn't about the love triangle, let's figure out what it is about. This book is about the good people we pretend to be and the bad people we really are. This is a character study of an incredibly terrible person. Chloe is evil, yet there wasn't a moment I didn't relate to her. It's almost uncomfortable to relate to such a despicable character, and therein lies the brilliance of this novel.

Haas' writing is insanely addictive. She keeps dramatic tension in every moment, growing a sense of dread as to what exactly is going to go wrong. Her writing is so readable that by page 100, I could barely remember starting. It felt like I'd been reading for five minutes. It's very rare that authors can be addictive.

Blog | Goodreads | Twitter | Youtube

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dangerous Boys.

Quotes Elise Liked

Abigail Haas
“You don’t know what’s behind that smile. You can’t imagine who someone will turn out to be. We assume the sun will rise every morning just because it has done every other day, but what happens when you wake up to darkness? When you open your eyes and find, today is the one different day? I”
Abigail Haas, Dangerous Boys

January 2, 2017 – Started Reading
January 2, 2017 – Shelved
January 2, 2017 –
page 97
28.87% "Abby McDonald is just so... readable? I'm on page 97 and it feels like I just started, she's got that flow DOWN"
January 2, 2017 –
January 3, 2017 – Finished Reading
February 4, 2017 – Shelved as: narrative-trope-subversion
March 7, 2017 – Shelved as: faves-of-2017
March 15, 2017 – Shelved as: books-read-2017

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Kainat (new) - added it

Kainat 《HUFFLEPUFF & PROUD》 Socio.. sociopath? I'm in! 🤓 Have you read Dangerous Girls? I always get both of these mixed up. Great review! I'm sold. Starting this sometimes next month. 👍

Elise (TheBookishActress) @Kainat I've read both!! I think this one is my favorite, but that seems to be an unpopular opinion. They're both GREAT. Hope you love it!!